City / County Digest


October 23, 2006

Baltimore: Homicide

Man found on street dies later at hospital

A man found severely beaten on a West Baltimore street early yesterday died several hours later, city police said. His name was withheld pending notification of family members, said a police spokesman. Western District police responded to a 911 call of an injured man lying on the pavement at a bus stop in the 700 block of Cumberland St. about 3:15 a.m. They found the man bleeding from wounds to the head.

Agent Donny Moses, the spokesman, said that the wounds appeared to be caused by a blunt object. No arrests had been made, he said.

Moses said the man, who appeared to be in his late 30s or early 40s, was taken by a city Fire Department ambulance to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he died at 5:30 p.m.

Baltimore County: Catonsville

Referee attacked, robbed after game

A 47-year-old referee at a Pee-Wee League football game in Catonsville was attacked and robbed after a game Saturday evening at Banneker Recreation Center, Baltimore County police said yesterday.

Police had been called to the center about 8 p.m. to direct traffic after the game in the first block of Main Street. But the police were soon handling several arguments among parents, and additional officers were dispatched to the scene to restore order, police said.

As the arguing continued, a referee ran up to police. John Poteat said he had been attacked and his wallet stolen, police said. He was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, police said.

Julie Bykowicz

Carroll County: Sykesville

Building fire ruled arson

A three-alarm blaze Saturday night that destroyed a vacant building in Sykesville was arson, the state fire marshal said yesterday.

Investigators said they believe the fire was ignited in a smaller, attached building and spread to the roof of the 3,600-square-foot main building. The building - a former animal feed and pet supplies warehouse in the 1200 block of Liberty Road - was vacant, said W. Faron Taylor, a spokesman for the fire marshal. One Howard County firefighter was taken to Howard County General Hospital after complaining of breathing problems. He was treated and released, Taylor said.

Julie Bykowicz

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.