Late goal lifts No. 9 Hawks to tie with No. 8 Mustangs

North Harford 1 C. Milton Wright 1

Girls soccer

October 19, 2006|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

The North Harford girls soccer team had early trouble as C. Milton Wright scored in the 15th minute. But Lauren Thomas had several scoring chances for the visiting Hawks and finally tied the game late in the second half.

Thomas scored on a 20-yard shot from the left wing with 2:48 left in regulation, and No. 9 North Harford hung on through sudden-death overtime for a 1-1 tie against No. 8 C.M. Wright in an Upper Chesapeake Bay Athletic Conference game last night.

The tie left North Harford with an 8-1-2 record and a 2-0-2 mark in the UCBAC's Susquehanna Division. The complexities of the conference's tiebreakers made this result meaningful for the Hawks because if they win their final two division games, tonight against Aberdeen and Tuesday against Fallston, they take the division title despite being nearly tied with C.M. Wright (7-2-2, 3-0-2).

Thomas just missed on some good opportunities, the best being a header that went wide of the right post with about 2:35 left in the first half. But North Harford kept pushing.

"It's hard to keep your head up when [trailing early]," Thomas said. "But I thought we came out pretty strong in the second half."

Kylie Galyen had given C.M. Wright the 1-0 lead by chipping a ball from about 20 yards out on the left wing. Kelly Scheler got the assist in the 15th minute for the early edge.

The game grew more physical in the second half, with the Mustangs nearly getting an insurance goal on a rocket by Scheler that North Harford goalie Julia Heaps (10 saves) just pulled in with about 11 minutes left. Heaps came through again about five minutes later, stopping a shot by Angelica Appold from the right wing.

But C.M. Wright goalie Lynn Tranovich, making her second straight start in place of injured starter Allison Kuchar, finished with 14 saves..

She couldn't do anything, though, when Thomas caught the Mustangs' defense a few steps up, got behind and lined a shot from close to where Galyen scored her goal. It easily went in to tie it and force overtime.

The Mustangs dominated the two 10-minute sudden-death periods, getting three breakaways, but couldn't score.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.