Hunt powers Severna Park

Wide receiver scores three TDs in second half to spark comeback win over Old Mill

Severna Park 21 Old Mill 14


October 14, 2006|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,Sun Reporter

Chris Hunt scored all three of his team's touchdowns in the second half and recovered an attempted onside kick late in the game to help a well-prepared Severna Park football team defeat host and 15th-ranked Old Mill, 21-14, in Millersville last night.

Hunt, a returning All-Anne Arundel County wide receiver who caught four passes for 141 yards, had a pair of touchdown receptions. He also played superbly in the secondary.

His first touchdown catch was a play-action, 68-yard bomb from junior quarterback Pat Morrison (5-for-8, 163 yards), the second one a 27-yarder. In between, he had a 5-yard touchdown run on a pitch-and-reverse that his team was attempting for the first time.

"We came out flat in the first half," said Hunt, who has a lacrosse scholarship to North Carolina, where his older brother Ben is playing his junior year. "But we came out to play in the second half and our offensive line did a great job to give Pat time. We proved tonight that we can play with anybody."

With the victory, the Falcons (6-0) remained unbeaten and extended their winning streak against Anne Arundel County teams to 17 since 2004. Old Mill (4-2) had its four-game winning streak ended in its second straight loss to the Falcons.

"They did what they've been doing for 17 straight county games, converting on third down, big play after big play," Old Mill coach Damian Ferragamo said. "Hunt made a lot of big plays."

Severna Park trailed 7-0 at the half after gaining only 37 total yards. But, for most of the second half, its offense kept Old Mill's playmaker quarterback Kelian Stevens off the field with time-consuming drives. The Falcons gained 210 total yards of offense, including 153 through the air.

"We changed a few formations at halftime to allow us to run our off-tackle plays a lot better and saw a few things in their secondary," Falcons coach J.P. Hines said. "Nobody wants to believe it, but we've got a good team."

The Falcons' defense limited Stevens to 68 of his 176 yards passing (13-for-21) and five of his 72 yards rushing in the last 24 minutes.

Zack Keller recovered a Stevens fumble to set up a touchdown that put the Falcons ahead for good in the third period at 14-7. Brent Sanders intercepted Stevens at the Falcons' 40 with 53 ticks on the clock to kill the Patriots' final drive.

Hunt took the ball away from a defender to score his third touchdown on a 27-yard pass from Morrison. Then, the Patriots' William Pratt raced 99 yards with the ensuing kickoff to cut the lead to 21-14 with 4:08 left in the game.

Hunt then fell on the attempted onside kick at the Severna Park 42. The Falcons punted away on fourth down to the Old Mill 25. Stevens passed for a first down to the 36, but on fourth-and-6 was intercepted by Sanders at the Falcons' 40.

Morrison took a knee three straight times to run out the clock as the Patriots had no timeouts left.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.