Hall leads Mount St. Joe, 1-0

Key assist lifts No. 2 Gaels over Eastern Tech

Curley rallies to upset Loyola Fall sports

September 07, 2006|By Glenn Graham | Glenn Graham,SUN REPORTER

One halftime adjustment made all the difference for the No. 2 Mount St. Joseph boys soccer team yesterday against visiting Eastern Tech.

It was no surprise that All-Metro standout Tyrone Hall was in the middle of the tweaking.

After playing up front in the first half, Hall moved back to center midfield for the second 40 minutes and made sure to make a difference. The senior captain took over the middle of the field, set up the game's only goal with a nifty through ball to fellow midfielder Patrick Curley to lead the Gaels to a 1-0 win over the Mavericks.

Goal scorer or playmaker: Makes no difference to Hall as long as the Gaels come out on top.

"Moving into midfield, I just wanted to get control of the game -- that's important being the leader on the field," Hall said.

The Gaels (1-0-1) sent a number of balls through to their forwards, only to see a solid Eastern Tech defense up to the task of turning chances aside. In the 53rd minute, Hall's threaded pass and Curley's finish from 8 yards were both precise, giving the Gaels' the offense they needed.

Hall's versatility is a luxury that Mount St. Joseph coach Mike St. Martin has come to rely on.

"Anywhere I put him I know he'll be effective," Martin said. "I felt in the first half there was some space in the center of the field we were not exploiting, so we made the adjustment. Tyrone sees the field so well and also works hard."

Despite the setback in their season opener, the Mavericks stacked up well against last year's co-Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference champs.

"I thought we executed the plan -- wanting to defend well and play balls into space. We had some opportunities we couldn't finish on and they were able to put away one of their chances," Eastern Tech coach Peter Glaudemans said.

More boys soccer

No. 9 Curley 3, No. 3 Loyola 2 -- Ryan Foehrkolb scored the game-winner in the second 10-minute overtime period as the visiting Friars (1-1) upset the Dons (0-1). Loyola led 2-0 at the half before Curley scored twice in the second half to send the game into overtime. Bash Kamara tied the game with under 30 seconds to go for the Friars.

No. 4 McDonogh 2, St. Paul's 0 -- Tyler Fiorito scored 25 minutes into the game and Andrew Bulls added an insurance goal four minutes into the second half for the host Eagles (1-0).

No. 5 Fallston 3, Boys' Latin 0 -- Chris Heckler started the scoring for the Cougars (1-0) with a goal 15 minutes into the first half and then assisted Kyle Hughes for the game's final goal.

Sherwood 2, No. 13 Dulaney 2 -- Angel Draganov helped erase a two-goal deficit for the Lions in the second half on direct kicks from outside the penalty area. Drew Hock made six saves on the Warriors' second-half shots.

Overlea 2, Dundalk 1 -- Senior Matt Bowers was involved in each of the goals for the Falcons (1-0), scoring the first and assisting the second.

Girls soccer

Mount de Sales 5, St. Paul's 0 -- Eileen Girling, Kate Whitehead and Lesley Burkhalter each recorded a goal and an assist for the Sailors (1-0) and Corrie Dubyoski scored twice in the shutout.

Field hockey

No. 10 North Carroll 3, Liberty 0 -- Ashlea Carl scored twice to power the Panthers (1-0) past the Lions (0-1).

Pikesville 9, Owings Mills 0 -- Junior Samantha Fink led the Panthers (1-0) with four assists and a goal, and captain Morgan Appel scored two goals and added two assists. glenn.graham@baltsun.com

Staff reports contributed to this article.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.