Robert Krauss, 39, 18-year officer with MdTA Police

September 05, 2006|By Sandy Alexander | Sandy Alexander,sun reporter

Cpl. Robert Thomas Krauss, a Maryland Transportation Authority Police officer, died Friday at Maryland Shock Trauma Center from complications during surgery. The Baltimore resident was being treated for injuries he sustained in December when he was struck by a van while driving a motorcycle as part of a funeral escort. He was 39.

Corporal Krauss was born and raised in Baltimore and attended Mergenthaler Vocational-Technical High School. He earned a GED diploma and, at the age of 19, became a Maryland Transportation Police cadet.

He attended the Maryland Transportation Authority's Police Training Academy and became an officer when he was 21.

During his 18 years of service, Corporal Krauss went from patrolling in a car to patrolling on a motorcycle, and was assigned to the Bay Bridge for more than a decade. Several years ago, he became part of the Authority's Homeland Enforcement and Traffic Team and was stationed at the Fort McHenry Tunnel.

FOR THE RECORD - An obituary in yesterday's editions incorrectly stated the date that Cpl. Robert Thomas Krauss of the Maryland Transportation Authority police was injured while driving in a funeral procession. It was Dec. 21. The Sun regrets the error.

He was awarded a Distinguished Service Award from the Transportation Authority Police in 1995 for climbing into an overturned car and assisting the passengers until an ambulance arrived, a department spokeswoman said. In 2001, he received the Chief's Commendation award for catching a bank robbery suspect and recovering $23,000 in stolen money.

He was also twice named Detachment Officer of the Year for his overall performance.

He was posthumously promoted to corporal by Gary W. McLhinney, chief of the Transportation Authority Police, who in a statement described Corporal Krauss as "an outstanding and dedicated police officer."

His wife of 14 years, the former Renae Brokus, said Corporal Krauss wanted to be a police officer from an early age.

"He was an extremely caring man, always looking out for everybody else," she said.

The two met in 1985 at the Skateland roller rink in Fullerton. Mrs. Krauss said her husband was a skilled skater and "a fabulous dancer," who also enjoyed hunting and fishing.

He owned a Harley-Davidson motorcycle and enjoyed traveling to motorcycle gatherings.

Corporal Krauss was on a motorcycle escorting a funeral procession from Baltimore to Woodlawn on Dec. 31 when he was struck by a van in West Baltimore. He underwent several surgeries in the following eight months to treat internal injuries.

The driver of the van pleaded guilty to driving while impaired, and authorities said after Corporal Krauss' death that the case might be reviewed.

A service will be held 10 a.m. Thursday at Leonard J. Ruck Funeral Home, 5305 Harford Road, Baltimore, followed by internment at Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens, 200 E. Padonia Road, Timonium.

In addition to his wife, Corporal Krauss is survived by his mother, Janice Krauss Kane of Baltimore; his father, Walter G. Krauss of Shrewsbury, Pa.; a brother, David Wayne Krauss of Baltimore; and a niece, Amanda Krauss of Baltimore.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.