Week In Review

August 20, 2006


Developer proposes 1,600 homes near fort

An Annapolis developer has proposed building at least 1,600 homes on a major undeveloped tract near fast-growing Fort Meade, but some county officials and neighborhood residents worry about the project's impact on crowded roads and schools. Developer John C. Stamato envisions a high-density enclave of urban-style living - homes, shops, restaurants and offices - on about 300 acres next to the Patuxent Research Refuge and within a mile of the booming Army post, according to two community leaders in Laurel who have been briefed on the plans. Stamato's development company, Ribera Development, wants the Anne Arundel County Council to create residential and commercial districts on the industrially zoned land, said Councilman Bill D. Burlison, an Odenton Democrat who expects to introduce the measure. The legislation would set aside 10 percent of the residences for "work force" housing and market those units to Anne Arundel County employees, according to three council members who have been briefed on the proposal. The measure might be introduced Sept. 5.

Maryland section, Friday


Shooter gets 30 years for killing man

An Annapolis man was sentenced Wednesday to 30 years in prison for killing a man who had complained about him firing random shots. Derrick Lamont Brown, 22, pleaded guilty in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court to second-degree murder and a handgun offense in the death of Benjamin Phillip "Benjie" Evans, 25, of Annapolis. Evans was smoking a cigarette outside his girlfriend's home in the Robinwood public-housing community at 1:30 a.m. Feb. 25 when Brown began shooting a semiautomatic pistol. Evans protested, saying: "Man, why you shooting over here - can't you see we are sitting here?" according to police documents. Brown shot Evans in the back. He died at Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Maryland section, Thursday

West County

Route 3 upgrade shows movement

State highway officials said they hope to secure approvals this fall to overhaul a 9-mile, traffic-choked portion of Route 3 between Gambrills and Bowie, which would mark the first major movement on the $700 million project in four decades. With the next wave of development - which could include a Wal-Mart and a Wegmans supermarket - set to hit the area and community frustration over traffic snarls at a boiling point in an election season, Anne Arundel County lawmakers have pressed the state on the roadwork. Plans call for building a pedestrian-friendly boulevard on the Anne Arundel portion of Route 3 - about 6 1/2 miles. The upgrade could add lanes in some stretches, but specifics have not been formulated. The Prince George's County stretch of Route 3 would transition into a freeway. Engineers could move to the design phase in January, and construction could begin by 2009, contingent on whether the county can obtain state funding and the costs don't spiral out of control.

Maryland section, Wednesday


Abuse reports preceded killing

Last summer, Ivy Nicole Mayhew told an Anne Arundel County court that her husband tried to strangle her. In neat, loopy handwriting, the Arnold woman wrote that her husband, Aubrey Bernard Mayhew Jr., shoved her against a car, wrapped his hands around her throat and choked her in her driveway. The couple's 3-year-old son watched from a truck. After letting his wife go, Mayhew threatened her. "You're lucky the kids are around, wait until we're alone," he said, according to her account of the incident, detailed in her application for a protective order. The case was dismissed after neither of them showed up for a scheduled August 2005 hearing. Almost a year later - and after more threats and at least one more report of an assault - Ivy Mayhew, 31, was found dead on the kitchen floor of her Arnold home. Her husband's family found her at 1:14 p.m. Sunday with cords wrapped around her neck, police said. Anne Arundel County police said they believe Aubrey Mayhew was picking up or dropping off the couple's 11-year-old daughter and 4-year-old son when he killed his wife. Police said that they don't believe the children were in the house and that the children did not realize their mother had been killed. Afterward, police said, Mayhew brought the children to his parents' home in Lothian. He told a family member - either his sister or his mother - that he "did something bad to Ivy Nicole Mayhew" and he "thought he killed her," according to police charging documents. Hours later, police arrested Mayhew at a friend's house and charged him with first-degree murder.

Maryland section, Tuesday

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.