Harford history

August 13, 2006

Jerusalem Mill

On August 13, 1772, millwright Isaiah Linton signed a Bond of Agreement with his partner David Lee to operate Jerusalem Mill. The Mill got its name from an adjoining tract of land, Jerusalem, which was patented in 1687. The first mill on the banks of the Gunpowder River, "Bonds Water Mills" was a sawmill. In the 1770s, Bucks County, Pennsylvania flour millers discovered and colonized the valley of the Little Gunpowder. Linton was one such, who built eight mills in the valley, one for himself, the others for clients. Known as Merchant Mills, the large brick or stone mills were built by capitalists, who could buy whole wheat crops from farmers, grind the grain into flour, and sell it to commission agents or ship captains to ship abroad. Jerusalem Mill was a merchant mill supporting a small village, including a store, blacksmith shop, miller's dwelling, and some employee housing. The Jerusalem Mills post office was established 1840. A period of prosperity followed until the 1880s, when the mill was converted to a roller mill; however, commercial milling corporations were increasingly underselling rural flour mills. After a period of diversified commercial use when the grinding of grain would no longer support the business, the mill closed in 1961. Thus ended 240 years of operation.

["Harford County's Mill Heritage," Harford Historical Bulletin. Research by Harford County Public Library.]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.