Tests can't explain Lefotu fainting

August 11, 2006|By DON MARKUS | DON MARKUS,SUN REPORTER

ASHBURN, Va. -- Kili Lefotu, the Washington Redskins rookie offensive guard who was taken to a local hospital after losing consciousness in his dormitory room Wednesday night, was in stable condition yesterday, according to Bubba Tyer, the team's director of sports medicine.

The chain of events regarding Lefotu's situation disclosed by Tyer differed from those initially announced after practice Wednesday night by Redskins coach Joe Gibbs.

Tyer said that Lefotu called 911 after feeling ill and was conscious when a local EMT unit arrived, but then passed out. Gibbs had said that Lefotu had been found unconscious.

According to Tyer, Lefotu was taken first to Loudon County Hospital in Leesburg and was later transported to the Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington, where team doctor Tony Casolaro is on staff.

Lefotu underwent a battery of tests but, according to Tyer, nothing conclusive had been found to explain his losing consciousness.

"We thought it may have been a seizure," said Tyer. "We're not sure. His breathing was never compromised."

Tyer said that he expected Lefotu to be released from the hospital today.

The 6-foot-6, 315-pound lineman passed all the medical tests the team administered after drafting him in the seventh round out of Arizona. A school spokesman at Arizona said yesterday that Lefotu had no physical problems during his four seasons in Tucson.

Tyer also announced yesterday that reserve defensive back Ade Jimoh had suffered a slightly separated sternum from a hit he received from Rock Cartwright earlier in the week. Jimoh will likely be out for at least a week.

don.markus@baltsun.com

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.