Other notable deaths


July 22, 2006

Harry Olivieri, 90, who with his brother Pat was credited with inventing the Philly cheesesteak in 1933, died of heart failure Thursday at a hospital in Pomona, N.J. Despite a heart condition, he had showed up at Pat's King of Steaks almost every day until about three years ago, his daughter Maria said.

He and his older brother opened a corner hot dog stand near South Philadelphia's Italian Market in 1930. Three years later, they made the first version of the sandwich that helped put the city on the street food map. Tired of hot dogs, Pat suggested that Harry go to a store and buy some beef. Harry brought it back, sliced it up and grilled it with onions.

The brothers piled the meat on rolls and were about to dig in when a cabdriver arrived for lunch, smelled the meat and onions and demanded one of the sandwiches. Harry sold the driver his own sandwich in a transaction that the brothers counted as the birth of Pat's King of Steaks.

Cheez Whiz was added to the steak and onions starting in the 1960s, and provolone, American cheese and pizza sauce later became options in the concoction along with condiments and side dishes. Pat Olivieri died in 1970. Harry's son, Frank, now runs the restaurant.

Jack Warden, 85, an Emmy-winning and Academy Award-nominated actor who played gruff policemen, coaches and soldiers in a career that spanned five decades, died Wednesday at a hospital in New York City.

He was nominated for supporting actor Oscars in two Warren Beatty movies. He was nominated for his role as a businessman in 1975's Shampoo and the good-hearted football trainer in 1978's Heaven Can Wait. He won a supporting actor Emmy for his role as Chicago Bears coach George Halas in the 1971 made-for-TV movie Brian's Song and was twice nominated in the 1980s as leading actor in a comedy for his show Crazy Like a Fox.

Mr. Warden, with his white hair, weathered face and gravelly voice, was in demand for character parts for decades. In real life, the former boxer, deckhand and paratrooper was anything but a tough guy, said Sidney Pazoff, his longtime business manager.

Robert Mardian, 82, an attorney for President Richard M. Nixon's re-election committee whose conviction in the Watergate scandal was overturned, died of complications from lung cancer Monday at his vacation home in San Clemente, Calif.

The attorney long denied helping conceal the Nixon administration's involvement in the break-in and attempted bugging of the Democratic National Headquarters office at the Watergate complex.

Nixon had named him head of the Internal Security Division of the Justice Department in 1970, but Mardian left two years later to work for Nixon's Committee to Re-Elect the President, known as CREEP. He represented the committee when the Democratic National Committee sued shortly after the 1972 break-in.

In March 1974, Mr. Mardian and six others were indicted; five went to trial. He was charged with one count of conspiracy to obstruct justice. In October 1976, a federal appeals court ruled he should have been tried separately. Rather than retry Mr. Mardian, the special prosecutor dropped the charge.

H. Edward "Ted" Bilkey, 72, an American shipping executive who sought to dampen the political furor over Dubai-owned DP World's plans to take over operations at six U.S. ports, including Baltimore's, died July 14 during a business trip to the Dominican Republic.

Mr, Bilkey, who retired in June as chief operating officer for DP World, the world's third-largest ports company, was visiting the company's marine terminal at the port of Caucedo, which recently began participating in a U.S. anti-terrorism program.

Despite lobbying by Mr. Bilkey and strong support by President Bush, DP World's efforts take over the U.S. ports faltered, and the company announced in March that it would sell its newly acquired U.S. port operations to an American buyer.

Carrie Nye, 69, a Broadway actress and a regular presence on the stages of the Williamstown Theatre Festival in Massachusetts, died of lung cancer July 14 at her home in Manhattan.

She was married to television host Dick Cavett, whom she met while they were attending the Yale Drama School. She made her Broadway debut in 1960 in A Second String, an adaptation of a novel by Colette, and went on to earn a Tony Award nomination five years later for her role as a society lady in the Broadway musical Half a Sixpence.

She appeared in numerous other Broadway productions but spent much of her career at the Williamstown Theatre Festival, appearing in 24 productions over 31 years. She also performed on television, earning an Emmy nomination for her Tallulah Bankhead role in the 1980 movie The Scarlett O'Hara War.

Henry Hewes, 89, a longtime theater critic for The Saturday Review and the founder of the American Theater Critics Association, died Tuesday after a long illness at his New York City home.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.