Mideast conflict worsens

Rockets kill eight in Haifa

July 17, 2006|By JOHN MURPHY | JOHN MURPHY,SUN FOREIGN REPORTER

HAIFA, Israel -- Hezbollah militants launched a barrage of rockets at Israel's third-largest city yesterday, scoring a direct hit with a new, longer-range missile on a railway maintenance building filled with workers, killing eight people, wounding two dozen others and quickly bringing an Israeli counterattack.

Israeli warplanes carried out a round of airstrikes on southwestern Beirut, targeting Hezbollah headquarters, and on a Lebanese civil defense building in the southern port city of Tyre, killing about 45 people and wounding more than 100 others, according to wire service reports from southern Lebanon.

In its attack against Haifa, Hezbollah for the first time launched what Israeli officials said was an Iranian- designed Fajr-3, with a range of at least 25 miles and carrying a 100-pound warhead. It is a far deadlier, longer-range weapon than the smaller Katyusha rockets that Hezbollah has used until now.

With the fighting between Israel and Hezbollah entering its sixth day, killing at least 130 Lebanese and 24 Israelis, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert gave no indication that he was about to ease off the bombings.

"We must show patience and forbearance," Olmert said in a statement during yesterday's weekly Cabinet meeting. "This struggle is under no time constraints; this is a daily struggle and we -- the Israeli government and public -- will continue to show equanimity, determination and sagacity as necessary."

The leader of Hezbollah, Hassan Nasrallah, said in a taped message broadcast yesterday on the militant group's Al-Manar television station that his organization had "complete strength and power." He said that Hezbollah had "no choice" but to target Haifa after Israeli forces struck civilians in Lebanon and suggested that it would continue firing rockets into Israel.

"When the Zionists behave like there are no rules ... and no limits to the confrontation, it is our right to behave in the same way," said Nasrallah, speaking in his first address since a news conference last week announcing Hezbollah's capture of two Israeli soldiers.

Nasrallah has been on the run since last week. Israeli airstrikes again targeted his office and residence in a south Beirut suburb yesterday and briefly knocked Al-Manar TV off the air.

Early today, witnesses reported that waves of Israeli airstrikes hit the Lebanese city of Tripoli and Hezbollah strongholds in the eastern town of Baalbek. Barrages from gunboats killed four in a village south of Beirut.

Along with the Lebanon attacks, Israel attacked along the second front where it is fighting, in Gaza. Fighter jets bombed the Palestinian Foreign Ministry in Gaza City, and clouds of smoke rose from the building, which has been hit before, wire services reported. At least nine people in nearby houses were reported injured.

In St. Petersburg, Russia, the leaders of the Group of Eight industrialized nations, including the United States, urged Hezbollah to release two captured Israeli soldiers, whose abduction last week ignited the fighting. The Group of Eight said Israel should then withdraw from the Gaza Strip and release Palestinian legislators who are members of the Islamic militant group Hamas.

In a statement, the Group of Eight focused its criticism on Hezbollah and seemed to allude to the militant group's support from Iran and Syria. "These extremist elements and those that support them cannot be allowed to plunge the Middle East into chaos," it said. It added, "We call upon Israel to exercise utmost restraint."

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice refrained from criticizing Israel, suggesting that it should be allowed to inflict more damage on Hezbollah. She also said she was considering making a trip to the region.

"A cessation of violence is crucial, but if that cessation of violence is hostage to Hezbollah's next decision to launch missiles into Israel or Hamas' next decision to abduct an Israeli citizen, then we will have gotten nowhere," Rice said on Fox News Sunday.

The attack against Haifa raised tensions even higher. Although military analysts were aware that Hezbollah had larger rockets, Hezbollah had been reluctant to use them, until yesterday. After a first volley of rockets aimed at Haifa, a little after 9 a.m., Israeli authorities put residents across the north and in Tel Aviv on heightened alert because of the new threat.

The missile that landed here tore a gaping hole in the ceiling of the railway maintenance building, exploding on the floor below, shattering the windows of railway cars, charring the walls and leaving behind a blood-stained floor of broken glass, severed light fixtures and other debris.

Yitzak Attias, a mechanic at the railway yard, was walking to join his coworkers in the workshop when the missile struck.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.