Crowd gathers at site of 15-year-old's killing

City records three homicides in 2 days


Violence that claimed the life of a 15-year-old boy Saturday - one of three victims of reported weekend homicides in the city - brought a crowd of more than 100 people last night to the site of the killing in East Baltimore.

The teenager, Dion Williams of the 3200 block of E. Lombard St., was found shot several times in the 2700 block of E. Monument St. about 2 a.m. Saturday and died a short time later at Hopkins Hospital.

A dozen balloons and as many teddy bears adorned a light pole near where Dion, a 10th-grader and a football player at Lake Clifton High School, was shot. The crowd - so large that it spilled into the curb lane of Monument Street - held hands and prayed, singing hyms as the flicker of candles cast a glow.

Sounds of pain and anguish filled the sidewalk as mourners shouted, "We love you, Dion!" His cousin, Eric Jones, 24, led the crowd in a rendition of "Have a Little Talk with Jesus."

Dion was described by relatives as a studious boy who earned solid B grades and dreamed of a career playing baseball or football.

"He was a mama's boy," said his mother, Tracey Jackson, 30. "He was funny, always laughing. He had the handsomest smile. He was everything a mother could want. I had him when I was only 14."

Jackson and other family members said Dion was hanging out with friends when members of a street gang began arguing with him for "being too loud." One of the boys then shot him, they said.

"He had just went to the store for me and got me a soda and some corn curls and was going by his grandmother's house," Jackson said.

Jackson said the fight and ensuing gunfire was captured by a nearby blue-light police camera, but the detective handling the case told her the images were unclear. No one has been arrested.

"They said they couldn't determine who was who," Jackson said. "All he said was that he saw 25 kids fighting and two kids running."

Police had made public no details about the shooting by yesterday evening.

Dion engaged in a fistfight with the boys before one of them shot him, said a cousin, Eric Jones, 24.

"They felt like he was making too much noise," Jones said. "He's in his neighborhood. He's not gonna take that. He was fighting all three, but they came back with a gun.

The weekend's other homicide victims were a man found shot elsewhere on the east side yesterday, and a 33-year-old Pennsylvania man gunned down at a West Baltimore intersection early Saturday, police said.

Eastern District officers responding to a report that a man had been shot in the 900 block of N. Collington Ave. found the latest victim lying in street and bleeding from at least one gunshot wound to the body, police said. The man, whose name was withheld, died at Hopkins Hospital.

Jamie Mills, 33, of Collegeville, Pa., about 15 miles north of Philladelphia, was found shot in the head and upper body at the intersection of North Avenue and Monroe Street about 12:30 a.m. Saturday and died about 30 minutes later at Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Yesterday, police also identified a man found fatally shot in a vacant house in the 1100 block of Argyle Ave. Thursday evening as Jeremy Jennings, 20, of the 1900 block of Winder Road in Woodlawn. People walking in front of the house about 6 p.m. noticed the man's body lying in the front room and called police.

Sun reporters Richard Irwin and Laura McCandlish contributed to this article.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.