Crime Watch


July 14, 2006

Police warned man before firing, they say

City police said yesterday that an armed man who was fatally shot by police Wednesday night had been ordered several times to drop his gun before an officer opened fire.

Responding to reports of gunfire, Southern District police officers encountered Antonio Garnett Shields, 38, trying to enter a home in the 1100 block of S. Carey St. about 8 p.m., police said. Shields refused to drop a handgun, and, as he turned toward the police, Officer Andrew W. Gotwols Jr. shot Shields an unspecified number of times, police said.

Shields, who lived in the 1100 block of Sargeant St., was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he was pronounced dead at 8:41 p.m., police said. Police said officers recovered a .40-caliber Glock semiautomatic handgun at the scene. The officer has been placed on administrative duty pending the outcome of an internal investigation of the shooting.

Gus G. Sentementes

Body found in vacant house

The body of a young unidentified man who appeared to have been shot to death was found yesterday evening in the front room of a vacant West Baltimore rowhouse, city police said.

People walking in the 1100 block of Argyle Ave. about 6 p.m. spotted the body by looking through a front living room window and called police, said Detective Eric Sharp.

The condition of the body indicated the man had been dead for several hours, probably since late Wednesday or early yesterday, Sharp said, adding that no one had called police to report gunshots coming from the house during that time.

Metro Crime Stoppers, at 410-276-8888, is offering a reward of up to $2,000 for information leading to an arrest and indictment in the killing.

Richard Irwin

Second shooting proves fatal

A man who survived being shot during an attempted robbery a week ago was identified by city police as the victim of a fatal shooting Wednesday near his West Baltimore home. It was not known if the two incidents were related, police said.

Officers responding to a report of a man shot in the 500 block of N. Fremont Ave. about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday found Charles Harris, 19, of the 1000 block of N. Fulton Ave., lying between two parked cars while straddling a bike and bleeding from a wound to the head, said Officer Nicole Monroe, a police spokeswoman.

Harris died a short time later at Maryland Shock Trauma Center. No arrest had been made.

Early July 7, two gunmen tried to rob Harris in the 900 block of N. Monroe St. when he was shot in both arms while trying to disarm one of them. He was treated then at University of Maryland Medical Center and released.

In another killing Wednesday, police were withholding the name of a 28-year-old man who was stabbed in the 500 block of Sheridan Ave. The victim, wounded in the stomach, back and right arm about 3:30 a.m., died two hours later at Sinai Hospital.

Richard Irwin

Warrant issued in killing

The Harford County Sheriff's Office has obtained an arrest warrant in the shooting death of a 20-year-old Edgewood man outside a residence Wednesday afternoon. Police are seeking Kyvelle Jamaas Martin, 22, with a last known address in the 1400 block of Harford Square Drive in Edgewood, in the killing of Kevin Harold Rowlette. Rowlette, of the 1000 block of Starboard Court in Edgewood, was shot in the face after a dispute and died on the scene, police said. The warrant charges Martin with first-degree murder. Anyone with information is asked to call 410-836-5408.

Justin Fenton

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.