Crime Watch


July 11, 2006

Pair admit to shooting involving intimidation

Two men accused in a shooting that led to the city's first witness-intimidation case under a new law that went into effect last fall pleaded guilty yesterday in Baltimore Circuit Court.

Timothy Meadows, 17, pleaded guilty to attempted second-degree murder and was sentenced to a four-year prison term and three years of probation. Kenneth George, 26, Meadows' alleged accomplice, pleaded guilty to first-degree assault and was sentenced to a three-year prison term and three years of probation. Both had been charged with attempted first-degree murder.

Meadows and George admitted in court to involvement in the June 25, 2005, shooting of Paige Boyd, then 21, in Remington.

Assistant State's Attorney James Francomano pursued the plea offers when the main witness - a teen-ager whose family claimed to be intimidated several times by associates of the defendants - changed his story before trial.

"His recollection of the facts just wasn't reliable," Francomano said after the court hearing.

Three other people were accused of witness intimidation, a charge that gained increased penalties - up to 20 years in prison, as opposed to the previous five-year sentence - that went into effect Oct. 1. Two have pleaded guilty to lesser charges, and the third person, Kenneth George's father, is scheduled for trial next week.

Julie Bykowicz

Man held after police chase

Police were led on a high-speed chase Sunday night in which a Westminster officer was nearly run down, authorities said yesterday.

State, Carroll County and Westminster police began chasing a maroon Dodge Intrepid about 6:30 p.m., after the driver hit a parked car on South Church Street in downtown Westminster and took off, police said.

Police said they were led down eastbound Route 140 and several Westminster streets and that the driver tried to run down a city officer. The driver eventually was stopped on the parking lot of Carroll Hospital Center, in the 200 block of Memorial Ave., police said.

A Reisterstown man, whom police identified as the driver, was undergoing a psychiatric evaluation at Carroll Hospital Center yesterday. Once released, Maryland State Police said, he faces multiple charges including attempted second-degree murder, first-and second-degree assault, driving under the influence, fleeing and eluding police and driving with a revoked license.

Laura McCandlish

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.