Halethorpe teenager drowns at state park


July 04, 2006

A 16-year-old Halethorpe boy apparently drowned in the Patapsco River yesterday afternoon in the Avalon area of Patapsco Valley State Park during an outing with his family - the second death in as many days in Baltimore County waters where swimming is prohibited, authorities said.

The boy's mother, who was in the area with her two other children, saw him go toward the river about 4:30 p.m. and shouted for help when she noticed he had not returned, according to Lt. Vernon Adamson, a Baltimore County police spokesman.

Another park visitor contacted police by cell phone.

A county fire rescue crew recovered the boy's body about 5:45 p.m. just below a dam in the Avalon area of the park. Adamson said. His name was not immediately released.

"It was clearly marked `no swimming,'" Adamson said of that section of the river. "If you do so, it's obviously taking your life into your own hands."

In a separate incident, police identified a 17-year-old who died Sunday night in Loch Raven Reservoir as Keith Alan Cannon of the 1700 block of Judy Way in Edgewood.

Cannon and a female friend had ventured about 200 feet from the bank of the reservoir near Morgan Mill Road in an area known as "The Pines." He couldn't swim, and slipped off an underwater ledge of rock that connects a small island to the shore, authorities said.

In Ocean City, a New Jersey man died yesterday after a series of large waves caused a "flash rip tide" at the popular resort, officials said.

Ocean City Beach Patrol Capt. Butch Arbin told The Daily Times of Salisbury that Quan Tran, 24, of Cherry Hill and another man got into trouble in the water.

A beach patrol guard rescued one man, but did not see Tran get swept under, Arbin said. Tran was reported missing about 2:30 p.m. He was found and pulled from the water shortly before 3 p.m.

He was pronounced dead at Atlantic General Hospital in Berlin.

Jorge Valencia, Laura Barnhardt and the Associated Press

Maryland: Bay Bridge

Pothole repaired on eastbound span

A large pothole on the eastbound span of the Bay Bridge that caused a nine-mile backup Sunday for approaching traffic on U.S. 50 was repaired early yesterday, the Maryland Transportation Authority said. The hole - which measured 1 foot by 3 feet - had forced closure of the right lane of the bridge Sunday. MTA spokeswoman Teri Moss said the agency was notified of the pothole - near the high point of the bridge - at 8 a.m. Sunday. "We make routine checks in the bridge, and because of the inclement weather the past week we weren't able to perform the routine work we normally do," she said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.