John B. Magruder Jr., 81, architect, Army veteran

June 12, 2006

John B. Magruder Jr., a Baltimore architect, died of heart failure Thursday at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. The Towson resident was 81.

His architectural firm designed Hampton Plaza and Hampton House apartments in Towson, as well as the Maryland Center for Public Broadcasting and Franklin Square Hospital Center.

A Baltimore native, he graduated from Loyola Blakefield High School in 1943. He enlisted in the Army, serving during World War II in Italy and Germany.

Upon returning home, he enrolled at Catholic University of America and graduated in 1950 with a degree in architecture and engineering.

He worked for Whitman Requardt and Associates, then for Wilson Christie and Associates. He later was a partner in the Baltimore County firm of Wilson, Magruder, Webb and Raytch. He worked for Kidde Consultants Inc. in Baltimore and retired in 1991.

He was active in the Rotary Club of Timonium, serving 15 years as its treasurer.

He also was a member of the Southern Maryland Society, the American Clan Gregor Society and the American Institute of Architects.

Called "Bud" by longtime friends, he enjoyed fishing and gardening, as well as family trips to the beach.

A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 10:30 a.m. today at the Church of the Immaculate Conception, 200 Ware Ave., Towson, where he was a parishioner.

In addition to his wife of 55 years, the former Elizabeth Finn, survivors include a son, John B. Magruder III of Chevy Chase; two daughters, Elizabeth Sonnenberg of Falls Church, Va., and Mari Louise Magruder of Hilton Head, S.C.; two sisters, Elizabeth Cosgrove of Annapolis and Mary Clagett Collinson of Arlington, Va.; and two grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.