Arundel history

June 11, 2006

1952: Sandy Point opens

Anne Arundel County's Sandy Point Park was formally dedicated in June 1952 as Maryland's first bayside recreation area for sunbathing, swimming, fishing, crabbing, boating, bird-watching and other activities.

Gov. Theodore R. McKeldin, clad in shirtsleeves, presided over the event and noted, "For the first time ... Maryland provides the people of this vast area with the means of escape from the stresses and strains of our complex civilization."

"Here the fresh gentle breezes of the Chesapeake will make us forget the smells of industry and commerce," the governor added.

The benediction was given by the Rev. John M. Gibson of the AME Mount Moriah Church in Annapolis.

The 675-acre park cost about $1.3 million to build.

[Source: Evening Sun archives report; Paul McCardell, Sun library researcher.]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.