Mt. Hebron earns crown

Incontrera's 2 goals, 2 assists rally Vikings past feisty Hawks in 3A-2A

Mount Hebron 9 Urbana 7

Boys lacrosse


Whenever he needed a reminder of his primary goal this season, attackman Tommy Incontrera had to look no farther than the Mount Hebron sideline for his older brother. Tony Incontrera, 23, is an assistant to Tom Minard, for whom he was a star defenseman on the Vikings' previous state title-winning squad of 2002.

Last night, before about 2,000 fans at UMBC Stadium, the younger Incontrera matched his sibling, emphatically polishing off a 9-7, Class 3A-2A state championship victory over Urbana of Frederick County.

Incontrera had two goals and two assists as the catalyst during a four-goal run that turned a one-goal lead into a 9-4 margin. The senior set up the Vikings' sixth and seventh scores, respectively, by Marc Saxton (two, one) and Bobby Cooke (three, one), then fired the eighth past the left side of keeper A.J. Smith (11 saves) with 8:48 left to play.

"[Tony] definitely keeps me going," said Incontrera, whose 45 goals and 40 assists lead the Vikings (16-4). "I just knew somebody had to step up. We definitely overlooked them."

Kalen Roundy (one, two) and Chris Lowe (two goals) led a late run that put Urbana (14-5) within two goals, with 2:56 to play. But Billy McNamara (eight saves) made two close-range stops to preserve the Vikings' ninth straight win and their fourth crown in eight title-game appearances.

"You have to give credit to Urbana. They're not great lacrosse players, but they're very athletic and extremely hard workers," Minard said. "They made plays even when they were down, 9-4. There was probably a lack of focus on our part. We thought we had it, but [the Hawks] obviously didn't."

Urbana rode the confidence of a six-game winning streak into their first championship berth in school history, and surprised Mount Hebron by taking a 2-0 lead at 8:09 in the first quarter on goals by Lowe and Chip Harris.

Although the Vikings turned the deficit into a 3-2 lead on respective scores by Justin Martinelli (two, one), Incontrera and Cooke during a span of 78 seconds, the Hawks tied the game at 3 on a goal by Brendan Oster (one, one), trailed only 5-3 at halftime, and 5-4 entering the fourth quarter.

"We felt like underdogs the entire tournament, but we started out on fire this game," said Lowe, who scored eight seconds into the game. "You think Frederick County teams, you think, `OK lax teams.' Nobody thought we'd come this far. I think we really made a statement."

Christian Flow, Matt Ford, Hank Nathan and John Thomas contributed to this article.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.