Patrick Walker, 78, building firm owner

May 23, 2006

Patrick H. Walker, former owner of a Lutherville construction company, died of arterial sclerosis May 16 at his Cockeysville home. He was 78.

Born in Albany, N.Y., he moved to Baltimore with his family and was raised in Homewood. A 1947 graduate of Boys' Latin School, he was an outstanding center-midfielder on the school's lacrosse team.

After earning a bachelor's degree in 1951 from the University of Maryland, College Park, where he also starred in lacrosse, Mr. Walker enlisted in the Army. Trained as a paratrooper and ranger, he served at Fort Campbell, Ky., until his 1955 discharge.

He subsequently served with the 175th Infantry Unit of the Maryland National Guard, attaining the rank of captain.

He was a construction estimator for Bishop & McKewin Construction Co. until establishing P.H. Walker Construction Corp. on Railroad Avenue in 1966. He ran the company until he closed it in 2000.

Mr. Walker's company specialized in erecting portable classroom buildings for schools and scaffolding used in construction projects such as the 1970s restoration of Baltimore City Hall.

Services are private.

Surviving are a son, Patrick H. Walker Jr. of Appomattox, Va.; a daughter, Elizabeth G. Cochran of Cardiff; a sister, Barbara W. Jeffrey of Towson; and four grandchildren. His marriage to the former Priscilla Long ended in divorce.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.