Martinelli's goal lifts Vikings in OT

boys lacrosse

High Schools


Mount Hebron's Justin Martinelli didn't really have a plan for winning last night's state Class 3A-2A boys lacrosse semifinal against North Harford. He just saw an opening and took it.

The junior midfielder scored 2:15 into sudden-death overtime to give the Vikings a 10-9 victory over the Hawks and their first trip to the state final since they won the title in 2002. The Vikings (15-4) will meet the winner of today's semifinal between Urbana and Stephen Decatur for the championship Tuesday or Wednesday at UMBC.

In overtime last night, the Vikings won the faceoff and survived a couple of wide North Harford shots before they set up at the far end. Martinelli got the ball up top, assessed the defense and cranked up from about 12 yards. The ball sailed high past North Harford keeper Stephen Polhammer.

"I saw a shot and I took it," said Martinelli, explaining that there was no specific play designed for the overtime period. "It's just exciting. I've never had this feeling before."

The victory was especially rewarding for the Vikings because they had fallen into a big first-quarter hole as the Hawks jumped up 4-0 on David Taylor's spinner off a feed from Dean Thrasher.

"We didn't come out with the right intensity," Martinelli said. "We talked about it and we said we're not going to lose today. We just kept putting some in and things went our way."

Mount Hebron was within 15 seconds of victory in regulation after Tommy Incontrera scored a diving goal to give it a 9-8 lead.

But the Hawks (17-3) weren't finished. Vikings goalie Billy McNamara stopped one shot in the waning seconds but Zach Buecker was right on top of the rebound. He popped it past McNamara to tie the game with 0.8 of a second left, forcing overtime.

No. 8 Severna Park 13, Wootton 7 -- When Severna Park scored just eight seconds into the Class 4A-3A state semifinal, it appeared the rout was on. But Wootton of Montgomery County (15-3) hung around into the second quarter, before Severna Park asserted itself before a large crowd at Annapolis High. Eric Lusby led the Falcons (16-2) with five goals and two assists, and Chris Hunted added two more. The Falcons advance to next week's Class 4A-3A state championship game at UMBC on either Tuesday or Wednesday. Severna Park will meet Dulaney or Westminster, who meet today at Annapolis. Wootton matched the Falcons' physical style in the first quarter, even managing to take the lead twice at 2-1 and 3-2. But the Falcons scored the final four goals of the half.

Mike Frainie

Parkside 6, South Carrroll 5 -- Tim Hurst dodged two defenders and scored with 1:13 left in the fourth sudden-death overtime last night to lift Parkside over host South Carroll in the Class 2A-1A state boys semifinals. The win sends the defending state champions into the state title game. Parkside (17-0) has now won 35 straight. South Carroll was shooting for its first trip to the finals since 1998. The loss overshadowed a stellar defensive effort by the Cavaliers (14-4), who held the Rams with a goal for a span of 34:50. Leading 5-3 late in the fourth quarter, however, the Cavaliers allowed consecutive goals by Nick Gianelle and Bryan Mercer to force overtime. Parkside, which a year ago torched Liberty in the state final by scoring 11 goals in the first quarter, again got off to a quick start against a Carroll County team. The Rams took a 3-0 lead after the first 9:37. In the second quarter, however, South Carroll finally began to cash in. First, attack Joey Grimes picked off a pass in front of Parkside's goal and scored into an empty net. Moments later, Jason Bartee scored again, and teammate Alex Eisold then tied it on a man-up goal with 4:46 left in the half.

Rich Scherr

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.