Interim Arundel schools head recovering after car accident

CITY/COUNTY DIGEST

May 10, 2006

Interim Anne Arundel County schools Superintendent Nancy M. Mann caused a two-car collision in Glen Burnie when she ran a red light in Glen Burnie, police said.

Mann was driving a county-owned Ford Taurus north on Quarterfield Road about 6:30 p.m. Monday when she apparently failed to obey a stoplight at Parke West Drive and struck the front of a 1998 Mercury passing through the intersection, said Lt. David D. Waltemeyer Jr., a county police spokesman.

Myshawn Ball, 34, of the 500 block of Millshire Drive of Millersville and Jordan Brown, 2, of the same address were not seriously injured, police said. Ball could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Mann, who was on her way to a county budget hearing, was treated and released Monday from Baltimore Washington Medical Center. She did not go to work yesterday and did not return a call from The Sun.

Schools spokesman Tony Ruffin said yesterday: "Nancy Mann is resting comfortably at home under a doctor's care. ... We expect a speedy recovery."

Annie Linskey and Anica Butler

Baltimore: Education

Schools to make last bailout payment

Baltimore public schools officials will repay the city treasury the final installment of a $42 million bailout that City Hall orchestrated two years ago to avert a state takeover of the city's education system. Schools chief Bonnie S. Copeland will give Mayor Martin O'Malley an $8 million check at a news conference scheduled for this morning at City Hall. The school system repaid the bulk of the loan, $34 million, last summer. The payment represents a turnaround of the school system's finances. Two years ago the school system faced bankruptcy, igniting a political battle between O'Malley and Republican Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. Ehrlich crafted a bailout that would have led to a state takeover. City officials prevailed by providing the $42 million loan. Since then, O'Malley officials have helped the school system control costs. The start of the new school year July 1 will mark the first time in seven years that the system has operated without a deficit, according to school officials.

Doug Donovan

Howard County: BRAC

Menser chosen to plan for growth at Meade

A former Fort Meade garrison commander will lead Howard County's planning for a surge of defense workers and contractors expected to move into neighboring areas as the Army post grows, County Executive James N. Robey announced yesterday. Kent D. Menser of Columbia will lead the 26-member task force formed after the federal Base Closure and Realignment (BRAC) Commission decided to relocate about 5,000 military jobs to Fort Meade by 2010. Menser retired from the Army in 1993 after a 27-year career.

Melissa Harris

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.