Dulaney controls ball, Towson

Lions secure spot in county championship as Generals suffer 1st loss

Dulaney 13 Towson 7

Girls lacrosse


Dulaney's Meghan Frederick was determined to get off the merry-go-round in her fourth Dulaney-Towson girls lacrosse game.

"Since freshman year, it's been Dulaney won, Towson won, Dulaney won, so we wanted to break the cycle," the senior said. "We've been pumped up for this for a while."

The No. 6 Lions showed their determination yesterday with three goals in the first 83 seconds and held off a couple of Towson rallies for a 13-7 victory in the hottest rivalry in Baltimore County girls lacrosse.

The victory dealt the Generals their first loss of the season and secured Dulaney (10-2) a chance to defend its title in Tuesday's county championship game against Catonsville at a time and place yet to be determined.

Yesterday, the host Lions dominated the No. 8 Generals (10-1) with their athleticism, physical strength and speed. They controlled most of the loose balls, won 14 of 22 draws and took advantage of 18 Towson turnovers.

"We just work so well together," Frederick said. "We don't really have one awesome player this year. All of us as a unit have just been amazing. We know each other so well."

That showed in the Lions' offense as eight players scored. Frederick, Mary Heneberry and Blair King each had two goals and two assists.

In a back-and-forth game built almost exclusively on transition, the two teams combined for 58 shots - 45 of them on goal. Only the goalies kept the game as close as it was. Towson's Abby Buresh made 14 saves and Dulaney's McKenzie Worthington stopped 11 shots.

After the Lions got off to the hot start on goals from Kristen Horsman, Holly Batton and Heneberry, the Generals answered with two Lacey Mahle goals and a third from Emily Franke to tie at 3-3 with 10:48 left before halftime.

Dulaney answered with three more goals -- two from Frederick and another from Cailin Colegrove - and the Generals added back-to-back goals from Megan Byrnes and Claire Hubbard to pull within 6-5. Hollis Burman then broke the three-goal pattern, boosting the Lions lead to 7-5 with 1:14 left in the half.

King's goal a minute into the second half gave the Lions another three-goal edge. Hubbard cut the lead to 8-6 with a free-position goal but the Generals could get no closer, thanks to a four-goal Lions run late in the half.

Franke said the Generals have been slow getting started at times this season, but they were disappointed with their overall effort.

"We self-destructed," the junior midfielder said. "We didn't play as a team. We didn't play as we normally play with our midfield transition. We just made some errors all over the field which led to their goals." katherine.dunn@baltsun.com

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.