Nitric acid spill injures 2 workers

May 07, 2006|By TYRONE RICHARDSON

Two workers transporting a container of nitric acid from a rail car in Canton yesterday afternoon were injured when the container leaked, a Baltimore Fire Department spokesman said.

The pressurized container leaked as much as 150 gallons of the substance as workers attempted to transport it to a vehicle in the 4200 block of Boston St. about 3 p.m., said Fire Chief Kevin Cartwright, a department spokesman.

Cartwright said the names of the workers and their company were not available. They were taken to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center for treatment of injuries and burns.

Firefighters and state environmental officials contained the spill in about 90 minutes, Cartwright said. He said that the incident did not pose an environmental hazard and that no evacuations were ordered because the spill was in an isolated area.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.