Crime Watch


May 05, 2006

Arundel officer shoots man in Curtis Bay

An Anne Arundel County police detective trying to arrest a man on a warrant in South Baltimore shot and wounded the man yesterday after he tried to flee in his vehicle and run down several officers, city police said.

County and city police went to a house in the 1600 block of Cereal St. shortly after 1 p.m. after receiving information that the man - being sought on a warrant charging him with robbery, destruction of property and assault - was in a house in the Curtis Bay neighborhood, a city police spokesman said.

The man, whom police did not identify, left the house, got into a vehicle and attempted to run down the officers, police said. A county detective shot at the man, striking him at least once in the head, said Agent Donny Moses, the spokesman. The man was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he was in serious condition last night, Moses said.

Anne Arundel police said in a statement that the detective, a seven-year veteran, was placed on routine administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation by Baltimore police, and an internal review by the county department.

City police and county officials did not release the name of the officer who fired.

The Anne Arundel detective was accompanied by another county detective, two uniformed county officers and city police officers.

This is the second shooting involving Anne Arundel police this week. On Tuesday, county officers shot and injured a 49-year-old man in the stomach after police said he threatened them with a rifle outside his home in Herald Harbor. That man, who police described as suicidal, remained hospitalized in good condition yesterday.

Gus G. Sentementes and Bradley Olson

Man fatally shot at home

A 41-year-old man was fatally shot in the vestibule of his East Baltimore home early yesterday after he was chased by another man, city police said.

Kenneth Oakley, who lived in the 2300 block of E. Preston St., was chased into his home by a man with a gun shortly before 12:30 a.m., a police spokeswoman said. The man shot Oakley once in the upper body and ran. Family members in the house called 911, and paramedics came and took the victim to Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Doctors pronounced Oakley dead at 12:54 a.m., police said. Officer Nicole Monroe, a police spokeswoman, said that Oakley had been targeted for reasons that police were investigating.

Oakley is the city's 89th homicide victim this year, compared with 81 last year during the similar period, police said.

Gus G. Sentementes

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.