Crime Watch


April 28, 2006

14-month-old's death treated as homicide

The state medical examiner's office has ruled that a 14-month-old girl who died last week while in the care of a baby sitter suffered from blunt force trauma, and Baltimore police said yesterday they were investigating the death as a homicide.

The girl, Kayah Jackson, lived with her mother in the 1600 block of Vincent Court, a public housing complex in the Sandtown-Winchester neighborhood of West Baltimore. She is the city's youngest homicide victim this year.

Police said Kayah's mother, whom authorities did not identify, dropped her off at another woman's apartment, across a courtyard in the same housing complex, about 5:30 a.m. April 17. The mother went to work, police said, and the baby sitter fed the girl waffles for breakfast, according to Officer Nicole Monroe, a police spokeswoman.

The baby sitter, who also was not named, told police that the child became fussy shortly after the feeding and that she gave the girl over-the-counter children's medication, police said. About 10 a.m. that morning, the girl vomited and had diarrhea, police said.

The baby sitter called 911 and paramedics took the child to University of Maryland Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead at 11:26 a.m., Monroe said.

Police officers who went to the hospital to investigate observed that the child had marks on her chin and neck, Monroe said.

The girl's mother told detectives that the child had not been ill when she dropped her off at the baby sitter's, Monroe said.

Police have not made any arrests. Monroe said that detectives were investigating how the child sustained the injuries that caused her death.

Gus G. Sentementes

8 charged with prostitution

Annapolis police charged eight women with prostitution Wednesday during a downtown sting.

From 4 p.m. to 11 p.m., four undercover officers posed as customers along West Street and arrested women who offered sex in exchange for money.

"We do this every couple of months, and we get six or seven people every time," said Officer Hal Dalton, a police spokesman.

He said the officers stopped making arrests because they were short on manpower and facilities.

Two of the women are being held on bail because of previous offenses, and six were released. Seven are from Annapolis, and one is from Crownsville.

Nia-Malika Henderson

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.