Roadside bomb in Afghanistan kills four Canadian soldiers

WORLD DIGEST

April 23, 2006|By NEW YORK TIMES NEWS SERVICE

KABUL, Afghanistan -- Four Canadian soldiers were killed yesterday when their vehicle was blown up by a roadside bomb in southern Afghanistan, Canadian military officials said.

The explosion hit their patrol in the mountainous Shah Wali Kot district of Kandahar province, where Canadian troops took over from U.S. forces last month and where complaints about their actions had started to emerge from villagers.

Three of the soldiers were killed instantly, and the fourth died at a military hospital after being transported to Kandahar, a Canadian military spokesman, Maj. Quentin Innis, said by telephone.

The explosion, detonated by a technically advanced remote-controlled device, was probably the work of an insurgent cell, he said.

The Canadian soldiers had mounted a large operation in Shah Wali Kot, beside Afghan army and police forces, to make their presence known, meet the villagers and search for insurgents and explosives.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.