Dulaney dismisses doubts in 11-2 rout

Boys lacrosse


Senior Geoff Hebert has heard the talk circulating in lacrosse circles since May, when the goalie anchored Dulaney to its fourth Class 4A-3A state title in the past five years.

"There's been a lot of skepticism about our team this season, people saying we couldn't do it again," said Hebert, a second-year starter. "And then we started off kind of slow with a big [14-1] loss to Boys' Latin, which was pretty bad."

The doubts followed No. 11 Dulaney into yesterday's 10th Maryland High School Lacrosse Showdown at Johns Hopkins' Homewood Field, where the Lions never had experienced victory playing private schools such as Boys' Latin, Calvert Hall, McDonogh and St. Paul's.

There were some who expected Mount Hebron, a Howard County public school, to add to Dulaney's woes. But in perhaps their most inspired game of the season, the Lions played well at every position on the way to an 11-2 rout of a Vikings squad considered an early favorite to win the 3A-2A public schools state title.

"I've never seen a Dulaney team win on Homewood Field, so this represented a huge obstacle for us," Hebert said. "Obviously, it was a very emotional game."

Nikk Davis scooped seven ground balls and had two each in goals and assists, and Mike Lafferty, Augie Bauer and Eric Keppeler all scored twice with one assist as the Lions remained unbeaten against public schools since losing to Severna Park in the state semfinals of 2004.

Rich Romanelli (one goal, one assist) and Jay Mann (one goal) also contributed for the Lions (6-2), who graduated two defensemen, their entire midfield and two attackman, including All-Metro Ryan Hoff.

"We don't have the go-to guys that we've had the last couple of years, but we have a balanced offense and a balanced defense," said Dulaney coach Gary Schreiber. "We knew we were playing a quality team, and to beat them like this means a lot for our confidence."

Mount Hebron (6-2) was scoreless in five extra-man opportunities against Dulaney's defense.

Jeff Breeding and Tyler Kiddy were assigned to Vikings playmakers Tommy Incontrera and Bobby Cooke, respectively, holding them to a combined one goal. The No. 13 Vikings (6-2) trailed 4-0 early in the second period before getting goals from Cooke and Chad McCarthy for a 4-2 halftime lead.

In the second game, No. 7 Calvert Hall scored four unanswered goals over a 2:10 span of the third quarter to pull away from No. 10 Severna Park in a 7-6 victory.

The surge included a goal and two assists by D.J. Comer, and one goal each from Tyler Dolphin (one goal, two assists), Brendan Ryan (two goals) and Dan Hanley (two goals) for the Cardinals (8-2) of the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association's A Conference.

Severna Park (6-2) was within 7-5 at 6:42 of the fourth quarter after Frank Taglienti's unassisted goal, and within a goal with 51 seconds to play after Taglienti fed Eric Lusby (two goals) for a behind-the-back score.

The Falcons had jumped out to an early 2-0 lead on goals by Lusby and Shane Coughlin, off assists from Taglienti and Dan Burns. But Calvert Hall led 3-2 at 9:50 of the second quarter on scores by Ryan, Kevin Kelly and Hanley.

"They set the tempo, but we were able to match their intensity," Comer said. "We didn't think they'd be this tough."

Chris Hunt (two goals) had made it 3-3 at 8:06 of the second quarter off a feed from Randy Waugh of Severna Park, whose All-Metro, Mike Gvozden (13 saves), stopped eight of Calvert Hall's first 13 shots.

"In other years, we got crushed here by MIAA teams like theirs," Lusby said. "This was close, so we're getting better. This is definitely a positive."


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.