Crime Watch


April 14, 2006

Aberdeen youth shot in likely gang incident

A 15-year-old Aberdeen boy remained in critical condition yesterday after being shot in what police said appears to be another incident of gang violence in Harford County.

Tyrone Moore Jr., who lives in military housing at Aberdeen Proving Ground, was shot in the chest about 11:20 a.m. Wednesday outside an apartment building in the 100 block of Hamilton Place in Aberdeen. He was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

An Aberdeen police officer responding to a call of shots being fired spotted several people dragging Moore onto the sidewalk and pointing as a man fled, said police spokesman Stephen A. Smith. Officers, who were nearby at a training exercise, recovered a handgun behind a stairwell and detained a suspect.

Devin Jamele Milbourne, 21, of the 1600 block of Candlewood Court in Edgewood, was arrested and later charged with attempted murder and a handgun violation. Two other men were released and probably will not face charges, Smith said.

The Harford Sheriff's Office had been looking for Milbourne, who was named in a warrant on unrelated charges. He was being held yesterday without bail at the Harford County Detention Center.

According to court records, Milbourne has been indicted several times in Harford and Baltimore counties. He has a jury trial scheduled for May 17 in Harford on charges of second-degree assault, theft, drug possession and driving on a suspended license.

County police said Milbourne has ties to the Bloods gang, which has taken root in Harford County in recent years and has been tied to a number of violent incidents.

Last month, an 18-year-old man was found guilty of murder in the 2004 shooting of a cab driver, a killing that prosecutors said was a gang initiation rite. Last week, police said, gang members pulled a 24-year-old from his car and beat him in front of his infant son.

In January 2005, the county sheriff's office established a gang suppression unit that keeps tabs on known gang members.

"We're familiar with many of them as members of local gang sects," said Robert B. Thomas, a spokesman for the sheriff's office.

Smith said there was no indication that Moore was involved in gang activity.

Justin Fenton

Man killed, woman wounded

A man was killed and a woman wounded last night when two gunmen fired several shots on a street in Baltimore's Reservoir Hill community, police said. No arrests had been made.

Shortly after 6 p.m., Anthony Walker, 24, of the 2300 block of Madison Ave. was standing in front of a house in the 2300 block of Callow Ave. when two gunmen approached and fired, hitting him in the stomach, an arm and the back, said Detective Robert Heath.

Heath said one bullet struck Joann Walker, 42, in the left leg as she talked with friends several yards away. The two were not believed to be related, Heath said.

Agent Donny Moses, a police spokesman, said the man was taken by ambulance to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he died shortly before 7 p.m.

The woman was treated at Maryland General Hospital and released, the detective said.

Metro Crime Stoppers, at 410-276-8888, is offering a reward of up to $2,000 for information leading to an arrest and indictment.

Man sentenced in tax case

A 49-year-old Baltimore man was sentenced yesterday in federal court to one year and one day in prison for filing at least 32 false tax returns, prosecutors said.

Francis I. Ukadike pleaded guilty in October to defrauding the government, and he admitted that between 1999 and 2002 he used his accounting and tax-return-preparation business in Baltimore to file the false claims, prosecutors said.

Those returns claimed refunds of more than $42,000.

Matthew Dolan

2 teens shot in E. Baltimore

Two teenage boys were shot last night on an East Baltimore street, and two suspects were arrested a short time later after a pursuit by police. The victims were treated at Johns Hopkins Hospital for wounds not considered life-threatening, police said.

The teens were in the 3300 block of Cardenas Ave., about 10 p.m. when an occupant of a passing car fired several shots, hitting one victim in the left side and the other in the left thigh.

The car sped off, followed by police who heard the shots and were responding, said Agent Donny Moses, the police spokesman. During the pursuit, shots were fired at police, but no one was hurt.

At Exeter Hall Avenue and Montpelier Street, the car stopped, and two men attempted to flee. They were captured and taken to the Northeastern District. The gun used in the shooting was not recovered, Moses said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.