Crime Watch


March 30, 2006

Woman to get 90 days for threat to witness

One of the first people in Baltimore to be charged under the new witness-intimidation law that went into effect last year pleaded guilty yesterday and will serve 90 days in jail - a sentence far lighter than is permitted under the new statute's limit of 20 years in prison.

Prosecutors said they strongly objected to the plea deal, which was accepted by Circuit Judge John M. Glynn.

Amanda Johnson, 23, of the 700 block of Berry St., admitted knocking on the door of the house of a witness to an attempted murder and asking, "Why are you snitching on my family?" She also told the witness' father that his son was going to "get it" before the trial.

Johnson's encounter took place in Remington on Oct. 14, about four months after the attempted murder of Paige Boyd, 21, in the 2600 block of Miles Ave.

Timothy Meadows and Kenneth George were identified by the witness and charged with attempted murder. They are scheduled for trial next month. Johnson is George's girlfriend, prosecutors said.

Glynn, who is scheduled to formally sentence Johnson on April 26, told her he would impose a five-year sentence, suspend all but 90 days and give her three years of probation.

Julie Bykowicz

Two correctional officers stabbed at Jessup facility

Two correctional officers assigned to the Maryland House of Correction at Jessup in Anne Arundel County were reported in serious condition late last night at Maryland Shock Trauma Center after each was stabbed several times during an incident at the facility, authorities said.

State prison officials were unable last night to provide the names of the officers, details of the incident or whether the assailants had been identified.

About 10 p.m., Anne Arundel County Fire Department medics arrived on the scene and treated both men for stab wounds, said Lt. Frank Fennell, a department spokesman.

"After our medics stabilized the officers, they were taken by stretchers to two waiting state police helicopters that landed on the grounds and were flown to Shock Trauma," Fennell said.

Upon arriving at Shock Trauma, both of the officers were rushed into surgery for treatment of stab wounds to the head, chest and back, authorities said. One of the injured officers was said to be a sergeant.

State Police and Department of Corrections officials were investigating the incident last night.

Richard Irwin

Animal-cruelty term imposed

The former Prince George's County health officer who pleaded guilty last month to three misdemeanor counts of animal cruelty in Anne Arundel County was sentenced yesterday to 20 days of house arrest by Circuit Court Judge Ronald A. Silkworth.

Dr. Frederick J. Corder Sr., a Bowie pediatrician, also was sentenced to five years' probation with the first year supervised and 100 hours of community service, according to Kristin Riggin, a spokeswoman for the state's attorneys office.

Corder is allowed to own only household pets, and he is required to provide biannual reports on their health, Riggin said.

As part of his plea deal, Corder agreed to pay $12,000 restitution to Anne Arundel County Animal Control and to Days End Farm for care they provided to animals that were seized from him in June.

Acting on an anonymous tip last summer, the county's animal control division took two miniature ponies and six Shar-Pei dogs from Corder's farm in Harwood, authorities have said. The ponies had severely overgrown hooves, and one of them was euthanized with Corder's permission.

Corder resigned as Prince George's County health officer in July, several days after he was arrested.

Annie Linskey

Man sentenced in drug ring

A 61-year-old Baltimore man was sentenced in federal court yesterday to 19 1/2 years in prison for his role in a statewide OxyContin ring.

In Greenbelt, U.S. District Judge Alexander Williams Jr. sentenced William Henry Muldrow for conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute oxycodone, commonly known as OxyContin, and more than 5 grams of crack cocaine. Muldrow pleaded guilty in January.

Prosecutors say Muldrow and other members of the ring created fake prescriptions using computers and photocopiers from 1998 through 2003. They recruited "runners" to try to fill more than 2,000 prescriptions in pharmacies. The prescription drugs were then resold on the street, according to prosecutors. Muldrow was arrested in 2003.

Twelve other defendants in the case have pleaded guilty to the same charge, receiving sentences of between two years and 13 years in prison.

Matthew Dolan

Fatal-crash victim identified

Police yesterday released the name of the Waverly man who died March 23 at a hospital a few hours after the stolen car he was driving at a high rate of speed on a street in the Barclay community crashed into a tree.

James Cooper, 20, of the 3200 block of Frisby St., was driving a 2005 Ford Focus north in the 2300 block of N. Calvert St. about 10 p.m. March 22 when he lost control of the car and crashed into a tree in front of a rowhouse, said Officer Richard McCarthy, a traffic investigator.

Cooper was trapped in the car about 30 minutes before he could be freed. He suffered internal injuries and died five hours later at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, the officer said.

Richard Irwin

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.