Crime Watch


March 24, 2006

Police have identified the man who died early Wednesday at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, several hours after the stolen car he was driving crashed into a tree, police said.

They are withholding the information pending notification of his family.

Shortly before 10 p.m. Tuesday, the man was driving a 2005 Ford Focus north in the 2300 block of N. Calvert St. when he lost control of the vehicle. The car crashed in front of a rowhouse just north of 23rd Street, police said.

The car was reported stolen March 15 in the 800 block of Montpelier St., said Sgt. Kevin Chubb of the traffic investigation section.

He said the car's speedometer was stuck at 80 mph after the crash. "It may have been going that fast or the needle could have been jarred into that position as a result of hitting the tree," Chubb said. He said there was no evidence the stolen car was being pursued by police.

Firefighters used the Jaws of Life, a compressed-air cutting tool, to cut the roof off the vehicle so they could free the man from the wreckage. He was taken by ambulance to Shock-trauma, where he died at 4 a.m. Wednesday.

Richard Irwin

Body of woman found in creek

The body of a Westminster woman was discovered by her husband Wednesday afternoon in a shallow creek running through a wooded area near Eldersburg, state police said yesterday.

Janet L. Seal, 44, of the first block of Pennsylvania Ave. was pronounced dead at the scene near the 1700 block of Bennett Road in Eldersburg.

Her husband, Douglas G. Seal, reported her missing from her grandfather's home in Eldersburg on Tuesday. The grandfather told police that he last saw Janet Seal at 1 p.m. Monday, when she left for a walk.

State police said Seal's body was found fully clothed with no external signs of trauma.

Police, who are awaiting autopsy results, said they do not suspect foul play.

Laura McCandlish

Murder suspect returned to city

A man charged with the murder of one man and the wounding of another on Father's Day 2004 in East Baltimore has been returned here after an extradition hearing in New York, a homicide detective said.

Darryl Chase, 24, of the 4300 block of Nicholas Ave. was arrested in New York two weeks ago on warrants charging him with fatally shooting David Anderson, 20, of the 1800 block of N. Dallas St. and wounding Michael Deal, 19, of the 300 block of S. Catherine St.

The shootings occurred June 20 after the men arrived at Deal's former girlfriend's house in the 1900 block of Pearlman Place to take Deal's two daughters, ages 3 and 4, out to celebrate Father's Day.

While the men and girls sat in Anderson's car, said Detective Charles Bealefeld, both men were shot. Anderson was killed, and Deal was wounded. Neither girl was injured.

Bealefeld said Chase was arrested this month by U.S. marshals in New York and was returned yesterday to Baltimore by members of the fugitive squad. He was being held without bail at Central Booking and Intake Center.

Richard Irwin

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.