Georgetown Prep tops No. 3 Gilman

Georgetown Prep 8 Gilman 7

Boys Lacrosse

High Schools


ROCKVILLE -- Benji Spanier and Andrew Brancaccio led a fourth-quarter three-goal run for Georgetown Prep's biggest lead of the game, and the host Little Hoyas withstood No. 3 Gilman's late rally for an 8-7 victory before about 500 wind-chilled lacrosse fans yesterday.

Spanier, Brancaccio and Stephen Coyle scored twice, Brian Tabb and Frank Coppola had a 15-3 advantage in faceoffs, and defenders Bray Malphrus, Jeremy Hirsch and Brendan Saxon helped to limit Gilman's excellent midfield tandem of twins Brian and Kevin Carroll to a combined three goals.

The Little Hoyas (5-0), coached by Kevin Giblin, have swept two of The Sun's top three teams, coupled with Friday's 10-8 win over visiting No. 1 Loyola.

"There are good, classy teams in Baltimore. That's the competitive level we strive for," said Hirsch, who is headed for Princeton. "The Carrolls played great. We just tried to maintain position, keep sticks on them as much as possible."

In early losses a year ago, Georgetown Prep was outscored by a nearly 2-to-1 margin by Gilman, Loyola and St. Mary's but wound up winning their Interstate Athletic Conference title.

Both goalies played well. Pennsylvania-bound Chris Casey (10 saves) stopped seven of Gilman's first nine shots, and Gilman junior Matt Chriss (10 saves) made six point-blank stops.

"In a tight game like this, every little thing you do is huge - ground balls, clears, recovering turnovers," said Tabb, whose team never trailed yesterday. "It was awesome to be able to dig down deep and pull this out."

Gilman (2-2) tied the game for the third time at 5:16 of the third quarter on David Marshall's second unassisted goal. But successive scores by Spanier, assisted by Bill Maloney, Brancaccio and Will Amling, assisted by Ryan Shuler, gave the Little Hoyas an 8-5 lead with 4:22 to play.

Gilman was within 8-7 with 56 seconds left on scores by Kevin Carroll and John Williams, the latter, off a fast-break pass from Griffin Shay. But Tabb scooped the game's last faceoff as his team retained possession until the end.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.