Benjamin Banneker Historical Park and Museum -- 300 Oella Ave., Oella, 410-887-1081. Hours: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays. Artifacts and exhibits dedicated to the life and times of "the first African-American man of science." Birding trails and garden.
Bollman Truss Railroad Bridge -- 8600 Foundry St., Savage, 800-788-MILL; 1869 wrought- and cast-iron bridge. The last remaining example of the Baltimore engineering design used all over the United States and Europe.
Brumbaugh House -- Elk Ridge Heritage Society, 5825 Main St., Elkridge, 410-796-3282; by appointment. Brumbaugh House has exhibits of a small-town doctor's waiting room, displays and library.
B&O Railroad Museum, Ellicott City Station -- 2711 Maryland Ave., Ellicott City, 410-461-1945; ecborail.org. Hours: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesdays through Sundays. Admission: adults, $5; seniors, (60 and older) $4; children (2-12), $3; children under 2, free; members, free. Completed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in 1830, the Ellicott City station is the oldest surviving railroad station in the United States and is the site of the original terminus of the first 13 miles of commercial track constructed in the U.S. In the 1970s, the station was restored as a museum. A second restoration in 1999 returned the building to its 1857 appearance. The site interprets the story of transportation and travel in early America through seasonal exhibits, education programs and living-history programs.
Ellicott City Colored School Restored -- 8683 Fredrick Road, Ellicott City, 410-313-1413. Open by appointment. The school was built about 1880; the museum presents the history of education for African-American children in Howard County during the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Ellicott City Firehouse Museum -- 3829 Church Road, Ellicott City, 410-313-1413. Open on some weekends and by appointment. The town's first fire station, built about 1889, is now a museum with exhibits of antique firefighting equipment and the history of Ellicott City fires.
Ellicott City Historic District Walking Tour -- By appointment. A self-guided walking tour of 28 historic sites, including houses of worship, homes and museums. Copies of the tour route are available at the Howard County Tourism Visitor Information Center, 8267 Main St., Ellicott City, 410-313- 1900
Friends of the Whipps Cemetery & Memorial Gardens -- St. Johns Lane, Ellicott City, 410-465-6721. Restored 1-acre site with graves from 1833 to the early 1900s.
Historic Oakland Manor, -- 5430 Vantage Point Road, Columbia, 410-730-4801 or 800-730-4802; historic oakland.com. The 1811 mansion and gardens have been restored by the Columbia Association. The mansion is available for afternoon teas, meetings and other occasions by appointment.
Historic Savage Mill -- 8600 Foundry St., Savage, 410-792-2820 or 800-788-MILL; savagemill.com; 19th-century mill adaptively restored for shopping and dining. The mill is a National Historic Landmark.
Howard County Historical Society Museum and Library -- 8328 Court Ave., Ellicott City, 410-461-1050; library or 410-750-0370; hchsmd.org. The museum and library collections house artifacts, including printed materials and photographs, that reflect Howard County's culture and history.
Friends of Patapsco Female Institute Historical Park -- Mount Ida Visitor Center, 3691 Sarahs Lane, Ellicott City, 410-465-8500; patapscofemaleinstitute.org. The Patapsco Female Institute Historic Park is a stabilized ruin of a 19th-century school for girls. Tours are offered from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Sundays from April through October.
Shrine of St. Anthony -- 12290 Folly Quarter Road, Ellicott City, 410-531-2800; shrineofstanthony.org. The Shrine of St. Anthony is a place of prayer and pilgrimage; the shrine welcomes individuals and groups for retreats, programs and meetings.
Thomas Isaac Log Cabin in Historic Ellicott City -- Main Street and Ellicott Mills Drive, 410-313-1413; thomasisaaclog cabin.net. One of the earliest dwellings in Ellicott City, the cabin is a year-round 18th-century living-history site.
Thomas Viaduct -- Levering Avenue, west of U.S. 1, Elkridge, 410-796-3282. Built in 1835, the structure is the first curved, stone-arch bridge in the United States. The viaduct carried the early B&O Railroad line over the Patapsco River, and it has remained in service 171 years.
Waverly Mansion -- 2300 Waverly Mansion Drive, Marriottsville, 410-313-5400. Open by appointment for events and tours. This period-appointed, early 19th-century manor house is the surviving property of Gov. John Eager Howard and Gov. George Howard, Maryland's only father and son governors, respectively.