Dorothy C. Johnson, 97, homemaker and volunteer

March 16, 2006

Dorothy C. Johnson, a homemaker and volunteer, died of respiratory failure March 8 at Charlestown Retirement Community in Catonsville. The former Sherwood Forest resident was 97.

She was born Dorothy Marie Chambers and raised in Baltimore. She was a 1924 graduate of Western High School and studied medical laboratory technology at what is now Mercy Medical Center.

She was working as a laboratory technician at St. Agnes Hospital when she met Dr. Eliot W. Johnson. The couple were married in 1931.

After the death of her parents in the early 1930s, Mrs. Johnson operated the family business, D. Harry Chambers Opticians, on North Howard Street, until selling the business in 1939.

Mrs. Johnson and her husband lived for many years on North Rolling Road in Catonsville in a home that her father had built in 1922. When Dr. Johnson retired in 1979, the couple moved to Sherwood Forest.

She had lived since 1990 at Charlestown. Her husband died in 1991.

Mrs. Johnson was a life member and past president of the Woman's Auxiliary at St. Agnes Hospital. During World War II, she was an American Red Cross Gray Lady.

She was a former member of the Baltimore Country Club, Woman's Club of Roland Park, Annapolis Yacht Club and the Sherwood Forest Club. She enjoyed growing roses, playing bridge and duckpin bowling.

She was a former communicant of St. Timothy's Episcopal Church in Catonsville and St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Crownsville.

Services were Saturday.

Surviving are two sons, David E. Johnson of Catonsville and Robert W. Johnson of Ruxton; a daughter, Rita J. Doub of Ruxton; seven grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

More obituaries next page

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.