John T. Brown, 75, service station owner, veteran

March 15, 2006

John T. Brown, former owner of a Rodgers Forge service station and vehicle emissions inspector, died of a stroke March 7 at St. Joseph Medical Center. The Towson resident was 75.

Mr. Brown was born and raised in Baltimore and graduated from Loyola High School in 1948. After serving in the Army for two years, he worked as a stevedore until 1963, when he purchased an Esso station at York Road and Stevenson Lane.

The business, which later became the Dumbarton Exxon Service Station, occupied the site of the 19th-century blacksmith shop that had been owned and operated by George and William Rodgers. The nearby Rodgers Forge townhouse community takes its name from the old shop.

After selling the business in 1985, Mr. Brown worked as a representative at several testing centers operated by the state Vehicle Emissions Inspection Program.

Mr. Brown enjoyed spending summers in Ocean City and was a horse racing fan.

He was a longtime communicant of Immaculate Heart of Mary Roman Catholic Church in Baynesville, where a funeral Mass was offered Saturday.

Surviving are his wife of 52 years, the former Dolores Uttenreither; two sons, Douglas M. Brown of Towson and Thomas P. Brown of Cockeysville; two daughters, Vanessa Rich of Middle River and Stacey Brown of Timonium; two brothers, Robert Brown of Timonium and Eugene Brown of Towson; four sisters, Anita Ross and Sister Noreen Brown, both of Los Angeles, Betty Brown of Towson and Mary Pat Warns of Parkville; and three grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.