Harford History

March 05, 2006

1776: A parcel of muskets

During the Revolutionary War, the Harford County Committee met nearly 50 times and acted in accordance with the Continental Congress. The meetings mainly involved resolutions and collection of fines, and all items having to do with the gathering of arms and ammunitions "for the defence of their lives, liberties and properties."

On March 4, 1776, the committee commissioned gunsmiths Isaac Thomas, John Cunningham and Samuel Smith to make a parcel of muskets. The muskets were to have steel ramrods and bayonets and cost not more than the Baltimore market price at the time. The gunsmiths were given 10 pounds, 10 shillings of public money by Amos Garret to begin work. All the muskets were to be delivered by April 1.

[History of Harford County by Walter W. Preston. Research by Harford County Public Library.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.