Harford History

December 25, 2005

1877: Holy Trinity burns down

Two days before Christmas in 1877, the Church of the Holy Trinity in Churchville was destroyed in a fire so fierce that the steeple bell melted. A new church was ready just a year after the fire at a cost of $5,000. It was consecrated in 1879. The first church, which opened in 1867, had been in the Gothic Revival style, built of wood. The new church is of stone and stands today.

[ Our Harford Heritage by C. Milton Wright. Research by Harford County Public Library]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.