Harford History

December 18, 2005

Dec. 17 1835: Colonel Smith dies

During the War of 1812, Harford County citizens furnished men and materials for the promotion of the war. Col. William Smith was commander of the Harford Regiment known as the 42nd Maryland Militia. The 42nd was organized in the lower section of the county around 1813 and existed for 12 years. The regiment drilled on Patterson's Old Fields on the road from Havre de Grace to Bush.

On July 14, 1814, a detachment of four companies of the 42nd was called out for duty. Smith and his regiment constituted part of the reserve forces at the battle of North Point and were stationed on Loudenslager's Hill during the attack on Baltimore.

Smith was buried in a private lot on his farm in Churchville. Smith's Chapel, built on part of his farm, was erected in his memory.

[Our Harford Heritage by C. Milton Wright. Research by Harford County Public Library.]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.