Ann C. Scott, 75, technologist in Mercy Medical Center lab


Ann C. Scott, a retired medical technologist who was devoted to the Sisters of Mercy, died of liver disease Sunday at her Parkville home. She was 75.

Ann Carr Scott was born in Baltimore and raised in the city's Walbrook neighborhood. She was educated by the Sisters of Mercy from first grade through her graduation in 1947 from the old St. Agnes High School in Mount Washington.

"It was during the later part of her schooling that she met Sister Paula Marie Phelan, who became the most influential person in her life," said Tamia Karpeles, a daughter-in-law.

Sister Paula Marie, who was a member of the Sisters of Mercy and head of what is now the Mercy Medical Center's School of Medical Technology, gave the young woman focus.

"She gave me the kick in the pants I needed," said Ms. Scott in an interview that her children recorded before her death. "Sister P.M. recognized me as an adult and expected me to perform as one. She helped me develop confidence so that I could handle the work, and I pushed myself to live up to her expectations."

Ms. Scott finished the five-year course at Mercy in four, while concurrently earning a bachelor's degree in medical technology in 1951 from the old Mount St. Agnes College, also in Mount Washington.

The cum laude graduate was hired immediately by Sister Paula Marie.

"The day after she graduated she started working in the chemistry laboratory at Mercy. She was a wonderful worker, upbeat, generous, kind and caring, and always felt very close to the sisters," said Sister Paula Marie yesterday. "She loved her work and caring for people. She respected them and their dignity."

Susan Barcus, supervisor of reference, laboratories and client services at the hospital, has been a friend and colleague for more than 40 years.

"I was the manager of the chemistry department for years and Ann worked for me in that capacity. She was sharp-witted and a delightful person who was very intuitive. She was also a great technologist who wrote procedures for me," said Mrs. Barcus.

"She had a great command of the English language and liked working crossword puzzles. She also was a great whistler and whistled classical music while working," she said.

Ms. Scott, who retired in 1993, had been a member for many years of the American Society of Clinical Pathologists.

She was an accomplished needleworker and a devoted fan of classical music. She was a longtime supporter of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and enjoyed attending its performances.

"Her range of music went from Beethoven to George Gershwin," said a son, Roy G. Hatch of Millersville.

"The Sisters of Mercy deeply influenced her values and standards, and she sustained an abiding respect for them and acknowledged this with typically ironic humor," her daughter-in-law said. "She'd tell them, `If you don't like me, just remember that I'm a product of the Sisters of Mercy and you're responsible for how I turned out.'"

A memorial Mass will be offered at 2 p.m. Dec. 28 in the chapel at Mercy Medical Center, 301 St. Paul Place.

Also surviving are two other sons, Dr. Richard M. Hatch and James H. Hatch, both of Nassawadox, Va.; two daughters, Ann Marie Kent of Parkville and Jean Hatch of Westminster; a brother, William Scott of Baltimore; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. Her marriage to Roy Hatch Sr. ended in divorce.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.