Newborn boy found dead in trash can


Baltimore & Region

December 07, 2005|By ANICA BUTLER

Anne Arundel County police are awaiting results of an autopsy on newborn boy who was found in a trash can Sunday in Arnold, police said yesterday.

The death is being treated as suspicious by police, but no one had been charged as of last night. Police don't know whether the baby was stillborn or whether he was born alive. It could be weeks before police receive autopsy results.

A 17-year-old girl, who has not been identified by police, gave birth to the boy either Saturday night or Sunday morning, police said. About 7:30 p.m. Sunday, the girl's mother found the newborn in a trash can on the side of their home in the 300 block of Buena Vista Ave. and called 911. The newborn was taken to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore, where an autopsy was performed, according to the medical examiner's office.

"The mother became suspicions for some reason after the birth, and questioned the girl about what had happened," said Sgt. Shawn A. Urbas, a spokesman for the Anne Arundel County Police Department. "The daughter came clean with her and said she had given birth and said where she [the mother] could find the baby -- in a trash can next to the house."

Two cars were in the driveway of the Buena Vista Avenue house yesterday, but no one answered the door and neighbors said they hadn't seen the family in days.

Police said yesterday that a civilian employee of the department's criminal investigation division is related to the 17-year-old and has been temporarily transferred to another area of the Police Department. A detective from another unit has been assigned to lead the investigation, police said.

Last week, a 21-year-old former Villa Julie College student was charged with murder in the death of her newborn daughter. Baltimore County police found the infant's body in a storm drain in Prince George's County in October, and Danielle Eboni Riley, 21, was charged with first-degree murder after an autopsy concluded that the infant died from head trauma, asphyxiation and environmental exposure, according to charging documents.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.