Carroll History

November 27, 2005|By SUN RESEARCHER SHELIA JACKSON

1948: WAR MEMORIAL

"Westminster is scheduled to dedicate its war memorial on December 11, 1948. The fourteen-foot high shaft of granite stands at Pennsylvania Avenue and West Main Street. The memorial is inscribed with the following sentiment: `Dedicated to the honor and sacrifice of the men and women of Westminster who served in the armed forces of the United States in all wars.' Town residents have been planning for the memorial since 1941. Delays were due to debate over what the inscription should say and World War II. Dedication ceremonies will begin with a parade and end with speeches by various public officials including Westminster's Mayor Joseph Mathias."

[ The Evening Sun, Dec. 2, 1949. Compiled by Sun researcher Shelia Jackson.]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.