Other Notable Deaths


November 25, 2005

Hugh Sidey, 78, whose personal portraits of America's chief executives appeared in Time magazine's "The Presidency" column, died Monday in Paris of a heart attack. He lived in Potomac.

Mr. Sidey, who served as Time's White House correspondent and its Washington bureau chief, wrote "The Presidency" from 1966 to 1996. He was a contributing editor to the newsweekly at the time of his death.

He was on hand for many of the triumphs and tragedies the presidents experienced. He was in Dallas when President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in 1963, traveled extensively with President Lyndon B. Johnson and flew to China with President Richard M. Nixon in 1972. He walked through Moscow's Red Square with President Ronald Reagan in 1988, and last year was aboard the plane that carried Mr. Reagan's body to California.

He wrote or contributed to seven books on the chief executive, including Hugh Sidey's Portraits of the Presidents (2004). He also was a chairman of the White House Historical Association.

LeGree S. Daniels, 85, a slave's granddaughter who became a national advocate of civil rights, died Saturday at her home near Harrisburg, Pa., after a brief illness.

Mrs. Daniels served three years as co-chairwoman of the National Black Republican Council in the early 1980s and headed Blacks for Reagan-Bush in 1984, when President Ronald Reagan was re-elected by a landslide. She was appointed by Mr. Reagan as assistant secretary for civil rights in the U.S. Department of Education late in his second term. She resigned from the National Black Republican Council's leadership in 1985, saying there was a lack of black involvement in GOP politics.

President George H.W. Bush appointed her to the board of governors of the U.S. Postal Service in 1990. She was reappointed by President Bill Clinton in 1999 and held the position until she died.

Alfred Anderson, 109, the last surviving soldier to have heard the guns fall silent along the Western Front during the spontaneous "Christmas Truce" of World War I, died Monday at a nursing home in Newtyle, Scotland. His death leaves fewer than 10 veterans of World War I alive in Britain. More than 80 years after the war, he recalled the "eerie sound of silence" as shooting stopped and soldiers clambered from trenches to greet one another Dec. 25, 1914. Mr. Anderson was an 18-year-old soldier in the Black Watch regiment when British and German troops cautiously emerged from the trenches that Christmas Day.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.