Car chase ends with arrest in Harford

Elkton man accused of carjacking, running APG checkpoint


After stealing a car in an elementary school parking lot as children were arriving, running the security checkpoint at Aberdeen Proving Ground, colliding with a pickup truck in a busy intersection, and failing to steal another car, Jeremy Justin Lepone thought he could make it on foot, police said.

Lepone, a 31-year-old Elkton resident, was arrested after crashing a car he had stolen and attempting to flee on foot, according to police. He faces numerous state and federal charges, said Robert B. Thomas, a spokesman for the Harford County Sheriff's Office.

About 8:30 a.m., Lepone allegedly wielded a knife and carjacked a 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo from a faculty member as children were being dropped off at Magnolia Elementary School in Edgewood, Thomas said. No one was injured, Thomas said.

Lepone fled toward Aberdeen Proving Ground, where APG police began pursuit after he ran one of the base's security checkpoints, Thomas said.

After exiting the base onto Route 24, Lepone crashed into road barriers and a parked APG police cruiser as police attempted to slow him with stop sticks, the spokesman said. Lepone then attempted to make a right turn onto Philadelphia Road but lost control of the vehicle and slammed into a pickup truck, Thomas said.

Lepone tried to carjack another vehicle but was unsuccessful and ran, Thomas said. With police in foot pursuit, Lepone attempted to break into a residential garage in the 2600 block of Philadelphia Road but was also unsuccessful. APG police arrested him about 9 a.m.

Lepone has been charged with one count of first-degree assault, armed carjacking and armed robbery; two counts of robbery; and three counts of second-degree assault, Thomas said. If convicted on all charges, Lepone could receive more than 100 years in prison. Because some of the incidents took place on a military base, Lepone could face federal charges.

He was being treated for undisclosed injuries yesterday afternoon at Upper Chesapeake Hospital.

An investigation was continuing, Thomas said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.