Howard History

November 20, 2005

1968: historic station

The B&O Railroad Station at Ellicott City - formerly Ellicott's Mills - was formally listed as a National Historic Landmark on Nov. 13, 1968. Built in 1829-1830, it is the oldest railroad station in the United States and the terminus of the first 13 miles of commercial railroading to be constructed in this country.

[Sun news researcher Paul McCardell contributed to this item.]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.