Carroll History

November 20, 2005|By SUN RESEARCHER SHELIA JACKSON

1826: ABOLITIONISTS FORM SOCIETY

Citizens of Union Bridge held a meeting Nov. 22, 1826, at Pipe Creek Meeting House to form the Anti-Slavery Society. Five members were chosen to write a constitution. The constitution stated, "The system of slavery entailed upon us by the early settlers of this country is unjust and oppressive on its subjects; contrary to the principles of universal right as exhibited in the Declaration of Independence, and as practiced upon in the general principles of our government. ..." The constitution was adopted by the Anti-Slavery Society at its Dec. 6, 1826, meeting.

["Carroll County Maryland: A History 1837-1976" by Nancy M. Warner. Compiled by Sun researcher Shelia Jackson.]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.