Overlea rally too much for Loch Raven, 27-20


High Schools


Raynard Horne caught a 22-yard pass from KC Speis with 31 seconds left, and teammate Gene Knight intercepted Loch Raven's Danny Hunter to end the game in host Overlea's come-from-behind, 27-20 win in a Class 2A North regional semifinal last night.

The Virginia-bound Horne, a 6-foot-1, 200-pound running back, also rushed for 90 yards and scores of 1 and 5 yards in the fifth straight win for Overlea (9-2), which meets the winner of today's game between Eastern Tech (6-4) and Milford Mill (9-1) in the regional title game to be played next weekend.

Sophomore James Carmon (6-7, 305 pounds) and Ray Servance had sacks, Andre Perry blocked a punt, and Justin Snyder had an interception for the Falcons, who were in their first playoff appearance since 1993.

Overlea was coming off last week's 17-0, regular-season-ending shutout of Loch Raven (7-4), one of their three shutouts during a four-game stretch in which they outscored their opposition, 105-2, and did not allow a touchdown in 18 quarters.

"We came out kind of slow. We really had to get back at them in the second half. We just showed a lot of heart and hard work and came back in the game," said Horne, who scored twice and had an interception - all in the fourth quarter - of last week's victory "This was a big game for us. Loch Raven played a good game."

The Raiders jumped out to a 7-0 lead after Hunter (14-for-27, 167 yards) found Kevin Summers (five receptions, 102 yards) on the end of a 20-yard scoring pass with 7:55 left in the first quarter. Hunter followed the score by booting his first of two extra points.

The Falcons were within 7-6 after Knight's 21-yard run, and took a 12-7 lead after Horne's 5-yard scoring run. But the Raiders took a 14-12 halftime lead after Thomas Washington's 3-yard run ended a nine-play, 70-yard drive that included Washington's 12-yard run on a fake punt while facing fourth and 6.

Overlea was ahead 20-14 after Horne's 1-yard run and Speis' two-point conversion pass to Copeland. The drive had been sustained, two plays earlier, thanks to Speis' 29-yard pass to Javiel Morales on fourth-and-14 from at the Raiders' 35-yard line.

Loch Raven tied the game at 20 with 7:01 on a 1-yard run by Jude Ugwu, but Hunter's go-ahead extra-point attempt sailed wide to the left.

Summer had an interception, and both Ugwu and Patrick Smith had sacks. Ugwu also recovered a fumble.


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.