Harford History

November 13, 2005

1795: The Post Road

Harford County's Post Road has been in existence since the 1660s. Mostly following present day Route 7, the Post Road was a vital thoroughfare connecting the entire Eastern Seaboard. Though well used by all - from dignitaries such as George Washington to merchants and artists such as Charles Willson Peale - the Post Road was notorious for its deplorable conditions. By 1795, the road had not much improved when Irish-born Isaac Weld began his exploration of America. On Nov. 16, Weld, who wrote about and sketched scenes from his travels, left Philadelphia for Baltimore via stagecoach. Apparently the ruts in the Post Road were so deep that the driver ordered passengers to lean right or left to prevent the carriage from overturning. Weld claimed the roads in Maryland were the worst in the Union.

[Harford Historical Bulletin, No. 57, summer 1993. Research by Harford County Public Library]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.