Congress out for Burlison

Councilman says he won't run in 3rd District

November 04, 2005|By PHILLIP MCGOWAN | PHILLIP MCGOWAN,SUN REPORTER

Four months after entering the race for the 3rd District congressional seat, Anne Arundel County Councilman Bill D. Burlison announced this week that he has withdrawn his candidacy.

"It's personal," Burlison, a Democrat, said in a statement of his reason for dropping out, "and I will have no further comment."

Burlison, 74, who announced his candidacy in July, was vying for a return to Congress after more than 25 years away. He served six terms in Missouri until being voted out in 1980. Burlison will complete his second term on the County Council next year and is restricted by term limits from seeking a third.

Several Democrats have jumped into the race since Rep. Benjamin L. Cardin, a Baltimore County Democrat, said he would run for the seat of retiring Democratic Sen. Paul S. Sarbanes next year.

The list includes former Baltimore health commissioner Dr. Peter L. Beilenson; state Sen. Paula C. Hollinger of Baltimore County; investment banker Oz Bengur; former Anne Arundel County lobbyist Kevin O'Keeffe; and John P. Sarbanes, the senator's son. Del. Neil F. Quinter, who represents Howard County, said last month that he has changed his mind about running for Congress and will seek re-election in the House of Delegates.

Burlison is a close ally of Anne Arundel County Executive Janet S. Owens, who is pondering her own bid for the 3rd District spot. He informed her Sunday of his decision, which, she said, will influence her plans.

"It's a factor ... him being in the race and his presence out of the race," she said.

phill.mcgowan@baltsun.com

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.