Escapee, 42, returns to jail

Armed robbery suspect, accompanied by his lawyer, surrenders


A 42-year-old armed robbery suspect who escaped from the Central Booking and Intake Center on Saturday returned to the jail yesterday afternoon to surrender, accompanied by his attorney, said a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services.

Troy Aaron Gross of the Gwynn Oak section of Baltimore County was arrested Thursday on armed robbery charges and was taken to Central Booking on Friday, said spokesman Mark Vernarelli.

Gross, who was being held without bail, was reported missing Saturday, Vernarelli said. "He didn't go over a wall or force his way out, he just walked out," Vernarelli said. An investigation to determine when and how Gross got out of the jail continues, and escape charges against him were pending.

Three others who recently escaped custody - including two who fled after being taken for medical treatment to Mercy Medical Center - have also been recaptured, authorities said yesterday.

Thomas Wilkerson, 34, of the 2800 block of The Alameda was arrested Thursday on charges connected with an undisclosed crime and was confined to a holding cell at the Eastern District police station when he escaped, police said.

Wilkerson was arrested at his home Saturday by members of the Regional Warrant Apprehension Task Force.

Carlos Green, 25, was being treated at Mercy Medical Center on Thursday for an undisclosed reason and was in city police custody when he fled the emergency room. On Saturday morning, warrant task force officers captured Green at his home in the 2800 block of Greenmount Ave.

On Oct. 25, Corey Antwon McMillon, 28, who was being held at the Baltimore City Detention Center while awaiting trial on murder charges, managed to remove his flex-cuffs in a restroom at the downtown hospital's emergency room and assaulted his guard, authorities said. After grabbing a pair of hospital scrubs, McMillon fled onto North Calvert Street.

Two days later, a tip led police to a room at Duke's Motel on Pulaski Highway in Rosedale, where McMillon was recaptured without incident.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.