Up by three, Terps are tied

Indiana comes on strong in second half, gets equalizer with 5 seconds left in 3-3 game

College Soccer


COLLEGE PARK -- Ludwig Field has been a virtual house of horrors for most opposing teams, but No. 5 Indiana marched in last night and didn't flinch, scoring three second-half goals to salvage a 3-3 tie with No. 3 Maryland.

Despite playing with a dislocated shoulder, Jason Garey scored two first-half goals, one on a spectacular bicycle kick, but the Terps could not hold the lead and gave up the tying goal with just five seconds left in front of 6,203 - the largest crowd to ever watch a men's soccer game in College Park.

The Terps, 13-3-1 for the season, will still finish the regular season unbeaten in 10 home games, outscoring their opponents 30-6 in College Park.

Although Maryland coach Sasho Cirovski called the result "disappointing," he said the game was also beneficial because the Terps now know they have to work harder to hold a lead if they want to capture their first national championship in almost four decades.

With Virginia's loss to Virginia Tech last night, the Terps will likely be the top seed in the ACC tournament, which begins Nov. 8 in Cary, N.C.

"I thought we did everything well until they got that [second] goal in the second half," Cirovski said. "We haven't been in a game where we had to win a tight one in a very long time.

"We have been able to put teams away a little easier. We're getting into a time of the year when a game like that is going to serve its purpose in a big way. We'll have to learn how to close out a game, and we have to get fitter."

The Terps' defense smothered Indiana's potent attack for much of the game before allowing two goals in less than two minutes midway through the second half.

The Hoosiers controlled the final 15 minutes of the game, and finally got the equalizer just seconds before time expired when Greg Stevning headed in a corner from freshman Lee Nguyen, stunning the Maryland crowd.

Both teams were aggressive on offense in the overtime periods. Nguyen just missed the winner with 25 seconds left, sending a close-range shot over the goal.

Garey opened the scoring for Maryland almost seven minutes into the game when he took a pass from Chris Lancos and sent a bicycle kick past Indiana goalie Chris Munroe. Garey scored again with 15 minutes left in the first half by knocking in a pass from Spencer Allen from eight yards.

Garey now has 18 goals for the year and may have staked an even stronger claim to the Missouri Athletic Club's Hermann Trophy, which goes to college soccer's Player of the Year.

"I think we learned a lot tonight," said Garey, who was wearing a harness on his left shoulder. "We played very well in the first half, going up by three goals. But it was one of those things where they got a few lucky bounces for the goals. It was a good measuring stick for us."

Stephen King increased Maryland's lead to 3-0 by scoring on a loose ball in the penalty area off a throw-in from Kenney Bertz with six minutes left in the first half.

Indiana (10-1-6), the two-time defending national champion, finally got on the board with 16:37 left in the game when Jacob Peterson scored on a pass from Nguyen inside the penalty area.

The Hoosiers' second score came on an own goal.

"My boys won't give up," said Indiana coach Mike Freitag. "They made a couple of mistakes in the first half, but they played with the heart of a champion.

The Terps will play their final regular-season game on the road against Virginia Tech on Friday.

Indiana 0 3 0 0 - 3

Maryland 3 0 0 0 - 3

Goals: I-Peterson, own, Stevning; M-Garey (2), King. Assists: I-Nguyen 2; M-Allen, Bertz, Lancos. Saves: I-Munroe 3; M-Seitz 4.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.