Co-champs abound in Anne Arundel


High Schools


One-hundred minutes of soccer provided four goals, some fine saves and a non-stop pace, but produced no outright county champion as No. 2 Severna Park (12-0-3) and Chesapeake (11-3-1) were declared co-champions after a 2-2 double-overtime tie at Arundel yesterday.

It's the second time in the 12 years of the girls county championship game that two teams have shared the county crown, with the same two schools battling to a 0-0 draw in 1997.

The Falcons have now claimed five outright titles and shared two, and Chesapeake has been named co-champions twice.

Yesterday, neither team budged after Severna Park junior midfielder Samari Ghaffari tied the game at 2 after making a strong run through the middle at the midway point of the second half.

"It was a very physical, fast-paced game, and both teams played well," Severna Park coach Gary Lam said. "It just shows how much parity there is in Anne Arundel - it increases every year. It's tough to get goals and tough to get wins."

Severna Park got a gutsy effort from junior standout Samantha Young, who was in and out of the lineup throughout the game with a sore ankle. Her goal in the eighth minute - one minute after she entered the game - gave the Falcons a 1-0 lead, but the Cougars answered with goals from Brooke Owen and Sarah Jessilonis to take a 2-1 lead at the half.

"It was just all-out effort on both sides and a great game," Chesapeake coach Jerry McBee said.


Defense was the story in last night's Anne Arundel boys soccer championship at Arundel, with stellar fronts coming from both the host Wildcats and the Broadneck Bruins.

The result was a 0-0 draw after 80 minutes of regulation play and 20 more minutes of overtime, with the teams sharing the county championship.

Arundel, which made its second championship game appearance, earned its first piece of the crown. The Bruins won their only other title outright in 1996.

Tight marking from both sides overmatched any scoring opportunities. The Bruins' defense passed its primary test by containing Arundel senior standout Justin Kondos, andthe Wildcats' defense did well to handle the Bruins' quick counters.

Kondos received a red card in the final minute of overtime and will now have to sit out Arundel's first playoff game.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.