Linebacker set for MRI


R. Lewis injured

Ravens Gameday

Bears 10, Ravens 6


CHICAGO -- Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis aggravated a thigh injury in the fourth quarter of the team's 10-6 loss to the Chicago Bears yesterday and did not return to the game.

Lewis will have a magnetic resonance imaging test today to determine the extent of the damage.

"He was iffy during the week," Ravens coach Brian Billick said. "He felt good during [the game]. I don't know the extent of it until I visit with the trainers and the doctors."

Lewis hurt the thigh a week ago against the Cleveland Browns, although he didn't miss any time during that game. He was held out of practice last week, and there was speculation late Saturday night that he wouldn't play against the Bears.

But Lewis made it through without much laboring before hurting himself while helping to force Bears running back Thomas Jones out of bounds with a little more than eight minutes left in the game.

Lewis was taken immediately to the locker room.

He was dressed and on the team bus before media were allowed into the locker room.

Lewis is the Ravens' second major defensive loss in as many weeks, following safety Ed Reed, who missed yesterday's game with a high ankle sprain.

Reed's status is questionable at best for the Pittsburgh Steelers game next Monday night.

Bart Scott replaced Lewis in the lineup on the Bears' final two possessions. Scott likely would start in place of Lewis if he is unable to play against the Steelers.

Lewis has missed one game in the past three years.

Scott has never started a game in his four seasons with the Ravens.

Roughnessis repeated

The Ravens were penalized 11 times for 100 yards, none more pointless than a roughing-the-passer call on defensive end/linebacker Terrell Suggs that extended a Bears drive in the third quarter. Suggs' penalty came after the Ravens had forced a fourth down.

The Bears' Robbie Gould eventually hit a 23-yard field goal to put his team up 10-6.

"I came through free, my momentum was going and [the referee] said I can't push him," Suggs said. "So I guess I can't push him. It happens. It's a very unfortunate call and unfortunate for my team, but we've still got to line up. They're not going to change that call."

The penalty was reminiscent of the undisciplined play that led to 21 penalties on the last road trip to Detroit. This time, the Ravens were also hit with a roughing-the-passer call on Adalius Thomas and an unnecessary-roughness infraction on Patrick Johnson on a punt.

P. Johnsongets involved

Patrick Johnson saw his first extensive action with the Ravens' offense this season, serving as the team's No. 3 receiver.

Randy Hymes started in place of an injured Mark Clayton, and Johnson leap-frogged Clarence Moore in the lineup.

Johnson did not have a catch, but there was a play where he was open deep early in the game. The protection never allowed Anthony Wright a chance to find Johnson.

"I think I was able to go out and do some things, as far as stretching the defense," Johnson said.

"Earlier in the game, we ran that same play, and [Jerry] Azumah sat low, and we didn't get the opportunity," Johnson said. "The next time we ran it, they dropped off into a deep zone."

Carter fills in at safety

With Ed Reed out because of a high ankle sprain, Chad Williams replaced the Pro Bowl player for much of the game.

There was a series, however, when cornerback Dale Carter took a few snaps at safety, the first time he had done so in his 12-year career. Carter came in on the Bears' fourth possession and forced running back Thomas Jones out of bounds after he got loose in the secondary.

What Carter lacks in experience at safety, he makes up for in speed.

"We were just trying to get me snaps here and there," Carter said. "I like it. It's fun anytime you get on the field, no matter where I'm at."

Carter's last action at safety came in college at Tennessee.

J. Lewis still stuck

The game was played in a downpour at times, but Ravens running back Jamal Lewis said it did not affect the players. Neither team turned the ball over.

Lewis rushed for 34 yards on 15 carries, and at times looked as though he was playing in mud. It was the continuation of a subpar season in which he has yet to have a 100-yard game.

"It was wet, but at the same time it was wet on their side of the field, too, so we can't use that as an excuse," Lewis said.

Backup Chester Taylor did not have a carry in the first half and finished with 21 yards on two runs.

Bears' line sets tone

Quietly, Bears running back Thomas Jones ran for 139 yards on 25 carries, though his overall effect on the game before the final drive was largely negligible.

Bears coach Lovie Smith, in fact, gave the credit to his offensive line.

"The protection has been good throughout the year," Smith said. "Whenever you see a running back getting those yards like Thomas did, it all starts up front. We've got a good offensive line, and I think they played well today."

Defense fails on last stand

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.